This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undoing Kubuntu :(

Ok I jumped into Kubuntu to quickly, I now need to back out install xp and get back on stable ground before taking another venture with Kubuntu. The problem is I cannot for the life of me get xp to boot off the disk and I don't know exactly why. When I try to load it from within Kubuntu it tells me it needs a free partition. I can't get a partitioning program because the problem with Kubuntu causing me to backpedal is problems getting the internet to work. (more info on that in this address http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3113858.0)

I don't know how to get Kubuntu cleared off can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: Undoing Kubuntu

1-do you have a xp cd?

2-did you install Kubuntu to take over the hole disk or is it duel boot ?

and post the output of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes I have the disk, Kubuntu takes up the whole disk, and ---

methos94@IanD:~$ sudo fdisk -1
      [sudo] password for methos94:
      fdisk: invalid option -- '1'

Usage:
      fdisk [options] <disk> change partition table
      fdisk [options] -l <disk> list partition table(s)
      fdisk -s <partition> give partition size(s) in blocks

Options:
      -b <size> sector size (512, 1024, 2048 or 4096)
      -c switch off DOS-compatible mode
      -h print help
      -u <size> give sizes in sectors instead of cylinders
      -v print version
      -C <number> specify the number of cylinders
      -H <number> specify the number of heads
      -S <number> specify the number of sectors per track

methos94@IanD:~$

Comment

That may have sounded redundant I have the XP disk and the hard drive is only kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Methos94
          That may have sounded redundant I have the XP disk and the hard drive is only kubuntu
          OK you used 1 in the comand I gave you and it's a L ......lower case.... l ....see .......

any way when you instaled Kubuntu you had to make the cdrom the first boot device ....you knead to do this agin and boot the XP cd and follow the prompts .

if you cant seam to repartition it from the XP cd then DL a Gparted live cd and repartition the disk and format it NTFS and try the XP install agin

their is a place in the XP install proses wear it asks you what partition to use or if you want to change a partition.......BUT win dosent do well with linux file systems so that may be throwing it off

so maby best to partition and format NTFS first.

I don't know what your Internet probs where but they could probably be worked out

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Methos94, I read through all 4 pages of your initial internet issue and it was left a little bit open-ended. Snowhog gave you a tutorial. Did you go through all of it?

If you really want to completely remove kubuntu and install xp, booting from a CD is done through the BIOS so when your computer boots, you should have the option to go into BIOS and change what boots first.
            Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
            Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
            Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

I have booted it from the cd but I get an error message when I do as far as that tutoriel snowhog gave me it was about a wired connection and I never got it to work but the bottom line was that nothing anyone suggested had any effect, and that isn't the first thread I started on the issue just the most recent thats why the one you read says that I was ready to just do a clean install but I was willing to try since snowhog wanted to help, but aside from all that I want a partial windows com because I know that os and I could never get graphics optimized well enough on kubuntu for games.

Comment

OK then. If you're done trying to troubleshoot your internet issue in Kubuntu, change settings in BIOS to boot from CD and install XP. It shouldn't be much more complicated than that.

You're not saying anything about the error message that you receive but there's no conceivable situation that would involve Kubuntu. Your system BIOS is controlling the boot from CD and Kubuntu has nothing to do with it.
                Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

It says something along the lines of needing to check for a virus check to make sure HD is configured and to check for corruption and I'll type the whole message out if you think that will help... But it's long.

I realize that it should be as simple as installing the software but its not that's why I'm here.

Comment

OK, I know you don't have internet but if you could somehow download this ISO file and mount it on a CD, you can boot to it and it will help you erase Kubuntu and format the harddrive to NTFS.

This definitely seems like XP's problem because it is probably having trouble even dealing with a formatting besides NTFS or FAT. But the GParted Live CD will do the trick for you.

Comment

Check your bios to be sure the hard drive interface is set to IDE. I had the same problem with a different distro, however, I found out it was the hard drive interface that was the cause of the problem. I can't remember what the other interface/setting was, again once I changed it to IDE no more virus error from XP install program.

Comment

Thank you everyone!
                        I had the same problem but it's fixed now thanks to you all.

Comment

Working...
                        X