Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Kubuntu, not linux, some problems.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Kubuntu, not linux, some problems.

I have a spare IBM T23, and thought I'd check out all the hype.
    For starters this box WILL NOT boot from cdrom (inclusive of bios updates etc) and cannot have the floppy and cdrom in use at the same time, so I had to use the netboot folder off the kubuntu-6.06-alternate-i386.iso image and PXE to get started. This is where the trouble started, after install there were no KDE components installed only GNOME, is this a bug or a feature of the network boot that needs more attention during install?

It didn't ask for a root password during install, had to chroot in via DSL and set it.

The user and password I did supply during install didn't create a user or even the home dir.

Now (not quite) happily running a GNOME session are unable to run synaptic or the update agent from the tray, due to a 'wrong password' error on asking for the system passwd, not 30 seconds earlier used to login as root via tty1 and create said user account, is there a group (wheel in my experience) that a user needs to belong to, to use su type commands?

Also on trying to re-login as a user, after loging out and killing any errant user processes, the splash screen fails to appear and the system just 'hangs' untill the users processes are killed again, any ideas?

Short of editing gdm.conf by hand (not in the mood right now) to let root login and run (I assume) a user managment package, is there anything left to try?

Re: New to Kubuntu, not linux, some problems.

1) The bad news: PLease read the RootSudo wiki page.

2) The good news: All you need to do to install Kubuntu (after installing Ubuntu to your hard drive) is to install the package "kubuntu-desktop".

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      1) The bad news: PLease read the RootSudo wiki page.
      Doh, now I have a root password, which is much more secure than my user pass so it's good in a way, just to remove all privs from sudoers.......
      Originally posted by askrieger
      2) The good news: All you need to do to install Kubuntu (after installing Ubuntu to your hard drive) is to install the package "kubuntu-desktop".
      Sweet, thx for the swift reply.

Now all I have to do is echo "alias emerge='apt-get install '">>~/.bashrc and things will be (almost) normal, for me anyhow.

Comment

If you're using sudo you'll need to make that alias "sudo apt-get install"

Comment

Originally posted by Teppic
          Doh, now I have a root password, which is much more secure than my user pass so it's good in a way, just to remove all privs from sudoers.......
          If you created a stronger root password, you can easily set sudo to ask for the root password instead of your user password
          Let sudo ask for the root password

You can make sudo ask for the root password instead of the user password, you can do this by adding the keyword rootpw to the line in /etc/sudoers that starts with Defaults.

Comment

Working...
          X