Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I change the 'Mount Point' of a drive without having to format it.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I change the 'Mount Point' of a drive without having to format it.

Kubuntu10.10
    Platform Version 4.5.1 (KDE 4.5.1)
    Version: 0.97-29ubuntu60
    Description: GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version)
    desktop computer
    AMD 9600 Quad Core 2300mhz 64 bit
    GPU PNY 9600 nVidia GeForce 500mb ddr2 SDRAM
    4gb Axiom EEC DDR2 SDRAM 6700mhz
    HDD Maxtor internal SATA 500gb
    Optical Drive internal SATA DVDRW 16X

I recently removed 32 bit and replaced with 64 bit Operating System. When I installed the new OS, I apparently did something wrong in the process. I always have the following arrangement in my HDD. 20gb '/', 20gb 'swap' and balance of drive approximately 460gb '/home'.

Currently the drive that should be mounted as '/home' is mounted as '/media/disk'. The computer will function, but does not like the current configuration. I would like to change the mount point from /media/disk back to '/home' without losing any data. Can the current /media/disk drive be unmounted, then mounted as /home, without having to format the drive? The file system will stay the same, ext4. Both Gparted and KDE Partition Manager are installed on my computer. Additionally, I have lots of application and desktop configuration I would like to NOT re-do. Thanks!

I should know, however, I am always confused how to reply to the kind help I receive on this forum. Am I overlooking a reply button when wanting to respond to help, or is this the appropriate way to answer the questions they have for me. In any event, here is the content of my fstab file:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=9d90f659-a0e6-4ab6-adec-15580d30a331 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=924b6430-5580-4991-9088-32bd5c605b61 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

I believe the first entry "proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0" is the boot drive. It is 20gb in size and normally is identified with the mount point '/'. I also have a swap partition which contains 20gb of space. The balance of the 500gb HDD is what has always been known and mounted as '/home'. Frankly, I don't understand much of what I am currently looking at in the fstab file.

When I open 'Dolphin' (my file manager), my home drive shows as /media/disk. When I click on the /media/disk partition, there are two folders that show: 'lost and found' and 'steven'. Steven contains my /home partition data. Thanks again for the help.

If I have responded to your questions inappropriately, please include how to respond to the help I receive in the forum. I apologize for my short-comings. Thanks for such prompt help.

Re: How do I change the 'Mount Point' of a drive without having to format it.

Should be easy enough to do - please post the contents of /etc/fstab

Also, let us know which partition you want to be home.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

You currently have a /home directory under /

You will need to edit /etc/fstab and add the line to mount the partition at /media/disk to /home,
      move any files you want to save that are under /home to /media/disk,
      delete everything else under /home that you don't need.
      then reboot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
        Should be easy enough to do - please post the contents of /etc/fstab

Also, let us know which partition you want to be home.
        #
        #

I believe the first entry "proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0" is the boot drive. It is 20gb in size and normally is identified with the mount point '/'. I also have a swap partition which contains 20gb of space. The balance of the 500gb HDD is what has always been known and mounted as '/home'. Frankly, I don't understand much of what I am currently looking at in the fstab file.

When I open 'Dolphin' (my file manager), my home drive shows as /media/disk. When I click on the /media/disk partition, there are two folders that show: 'lost and found' and 'steven'. Steven contains my /home partition data. Thanks again for the help.

If I have responded to your questions inappropriately, please include how to respond to the help I receive in the forum. I apologize for my short-comings. Thanks for such prompt help.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          You currently have a /home directory under /

You will need to edit /etc/fstab and add the line to mount the partition at /media/disk to /home,
          move any files you want to save that are under /home to /media/disk,
          delete everything else under /home that you don't need.
          then reboot.

#
          #

Comment

The entry in red is your root partition, not /proc. The reason things aren't working the way you want is you didn't specify a home partition when you installed.

Now the only problem is we don't know the UUID of your old home partition - you can find it like this

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

When you get the UUID of your old home partition edit (as root) /etc/fstab like this -

#
            #
            UUID=6379ed50-507d-4eb0-a11a-f345fcd46d42 /home ext4 defaults 0 2

Add the line in green, substituting the UUID of your old home partition. Save the file as /etc/fstab.new and don't overwrite the old one yet.

Okay. Now boot into recovery mode into a root terminal. You'll need to provide the superuser password. Once you get to the terminal, do this -

mv /home /home.old

then

mv /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old

then

mv /etc/fstab.new /etc/fstab

Reboot and everything should work just fine.

cheers -
            -- anais nin

Comment

The entry in red is your root partition, not /proc. The reason things aren't working the way you want is you didn't specify a home partition when you installed.

Now the only problem is we don't know the UUID of your old home partition - you can find it like this

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

When you get the UUID of your old home partition edit (as root) /etc/fstab like this -

#
              #
              UUID=6379ed50-507d-4eb0-a11a-f345fcd46d42 /home ext4 defaults 0 2

Add the line in green, substituting the UUID of your old home partition. Save the file as /etc/fstab.new and don't overwrite the old one yet.

Okay. Now boot into recovery mode into a root terminal. You'll need to provide the superuser password. Once you get to the terminal, do this -

mv /home /home.old

then

mv /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old

then

mv /etc/fstab.new /etc/fstab

Reboot and everything should work just fine.

cheers -
              I followed your instructions with one exception. When I booted I was not presented with the boot choices. (Personal memory problem.) In any event, I was able to open a konsole and get 'root' by typing sudo su and my password. I then followed the changes as you mentioned, but was unable to reboot. (I suspect it is because I was Not in recovery mode.) I am sure you understand the reason, nevertheless, can I resolve this new problem? I am currently using the Live CD to open a browser to communicate with you. An option to 'Restore a Broken Computer' was available on the Live CD, and got me to a 'root' prompt, so if backtracking or using other commands can fix the problem, I can get a root konsole. I am re-learning many things in the process.

After-the-fact, I know I should have known better; your instructions were very precise. I have also found that by pressing f8, I would have been able to follow your instruction by opening a recovery mode of operation. When I was operating in a 32 bit environment and wanted to enter the boot menu, I would get a blue screen with white print and the only option for opening was the Hard Drive - no recovery options. I accepted that condition as a probable improvement by Kubuntu developers.

Re-configuring the 64 bit installation took about 2 hours to get the system where I wanted it; I have been trying to avoid that rather long process. Nonetheless, perhaps that is the wiser procedure from this point in the resolution of the problem. If I have stressed your patience too much with my shortcomings, I will reinstall, properly mounting the /home drive. Otherwise, I will wait a few hours to see if I am able to get a help response that I can learn from. Thanks for your patience, friend.

Comment

If you've got a home partition that you're comfortable with it might be easier to just reinstall.

cheers -
                -- anais nin

Comment

If you've got a home partition that you're comfortable with it might be easier to just reinstall.

cheers -
                  Thanks for the prompt response. I am sorry to have wasted your time. You were excellent. I recently had medical problems that affected my memory; it makes many things that are computer related difficult. I do love the Kubuntu OS and the kindness offered through the forum.

Comment

You haven't wasted my time - and I'm happy to help.

thanks -
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                    X