This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Install of 10.04 and MP3's do not play

Many thanks for your responses, greatly appreciated.

I printed out 27 pages of the guide to get sound and video running on 9.xx and 10.xx Kubuntu.

For me it looks very very daunting also time consuming.

I'm considering using 10.04 which I did get the sound to work and switch to different OS for any video watching I do.

Or more likely keep with Hardy Heron and hope all of this AV stuff is polished in 11.xx when it arrives.

I'm a user not an apprentice Guru (sadly) and greatly respect those who have the knowledge and understanding to polish an OS until it become an every day tool like a Mac with OS X is.

For me Hardy Heron is brilliant, and I just want a later version of it with the latest applications (provided they work).

At this point in my life I don't have the time to put into this project of getting 9.xx/10.xx fully working which is likely only half way through. Sad but a lot of non-computing related matters will suffer badly if I don't draw the line now.

Many many thanks for all the support I've been shown on these matters.

A greatful but saddened,

Tim

Comment

I'm not sure what you have actually done Tim. One of the issues is that most linux distros cannot play mp3s or DVDs "out of the box" the main reason being that in certain jurisdictions there may be legal issues in their distribution. For example to play a dvd you need to crack the content scrambling system and MP3s are subject to patents. So most distros ('buntu included) tend to leave the installation of these things to the user. It's a PITA I know, but there's not much we can do about it. Suffice to say, if you get the startup tone, your soundcard is working. It is therefore simply a matter of installing the applications that will enable you to play your stuff. IIRC when you first try to play an mp3 in amarok it should ask you whether you want to download the stuff you need to play it. Click yes and it does it automatically. So I'm very surprised by what is happening.

If you have followed the steps described in relation to medibuntu, we should now be left with the simple question of whether you have the sound setting in amarok muted, given that you get the startup sound. So, if you have followed the steps, I believe you are within an ace of getting it working.

OTOH there are some distros who provide these codecs etc so that stuff like tthis does work out of the box. One of these is, I think, Linux Mint which is currently based on ubuntu with some "extras" added. That might be worth a look.

Comment

Many thanks for your response. I'll try your suggestions next time I have a moment or two. I a spare 1TBG drive.

Your support is greatly appreciated !

Tim

Comment

Working...
        X