This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Install of 10.04 and MP3's do not play

A bit fundamental having working sound !

Now Hardy Heron plays out of the box aok but although the happy jingle comes through on power up and power down when using a fresh install of 10.04, clicking on the MP3 track results in Amarok coming up up and deadly silence .

I do no need the power of play lists and other 'extras' I just want to play me music ! *LOL*

What do I have to do to get 10.04 to play my MP3s ?

(Now it is a simple Stereo sound system and it is a 64 bit PC)

10.10 (which in all other respects I like a lot !) is even worse it does not even play the jingle on power up /power down.

Its so frustrating as I thought an upgrade was overdue and put a TB hard drive in and lo become a great upgrade except for this one 'trivial' mess of no sound. Should be easy to fix but no for me !

Any thoughts VERY VERY VERY welcome !

Thank you in advance,

Tim

Re: New Install of 10.04 and MP3's do not play

Install: ubuntu-restricted-extras
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
      Would that also work or 10.10 ?

Many thanks for responding ,

Tim

Comment

for kubuntu, you may wish to install 'kubuntu-restricted-extras', as it is more KDE centered (but installing ubuntu-restricted-extras should do no harm, and they install mostly the same things)

Originally posted by Tim036
        Would that also work or 10.10 ?
        Yes

Comment

Oops! Yes, kubuntu-restricted-extras as Kubicle says
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Oops! Yes, kubuntu-restricted-extras as Kubicle says
            Well I've tried altering the settings but to no avail after installing as you suggested.

Is there a reset to 'factory' settings I could apply or is it another fresh install that is needed.

Which bit of the OS do I go to to invoke the kubuntu-restricted-extras thing ?

A very frustrated, but grateful for the help,

Tim

Comment

Connect to the internet. Open Konsole Terminal Program

Issue the command:
              sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras

Comment

There is a package called kubuntu-restricted-extras in the repositories. Simply install it via your package manager as you would any other application.

Installing that package installs a number of things, mainly codecs. So far as Mp3s are concerned, once you have installed, things should "just work".

arochester just beat me to it. Either the command line or package manager will work - whichever you are more comfy with.

Comment

Many thanksall !

I'll just re-install 10.04 and then do the biz !

I'll let you know the results !

: ))))

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim036
                    Many thanksall !

I'll just re-install 10.04 and then do the biz !

I'll let you know the results !

: ))))

Tim
                    Well 10.4 Sound works but no video ! I put a DVD in and Dragon does zilch. Now Hard Heron just works !

10.10 does not recognise the sound hardware so zilch there ! Ditto for video. Even with all the extra software.

Kaffeine seems to have been replaced by a 'dog' ' !

Now the motherboard is 64 bit and about 4 years old. Hardy Heron was the first release of Linux that recognised my Samsung ML-2510 printer 'out of the box' .

Now a OS should have Office, Browser, sound and Video (for you tube) so 10. series seriously dislikes my hardware (?.)

Trying to find the 9 series LTS but Kubuntu www site only offer 10.10 or 10.4.

It could be that 64 bit is flakey and 32bit ok, but for me this is not a good experience !

If Kubuntu has got picky about hardware, and the major strength of Linux is caring about Heritage equipment as a Axiom, what is going on ?

Now anybody any thoughts as I am struggling to believe that this 'excellent' OS with a good history is a crock.

A not that happy,

Tim

Comment

Tim

Can you please post the output of the following command:

Code:
                      lspci
                      so that we can see what sound card you have.

On the DVD front, I assume you are trying to play a commercial disk? If so you need libdvdcss installed to deal with the encryption system. For a variety of legal reasons it is not included in the default install or main repos. You need to add the medibuntu repository. Some useful guidance is here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Once you have issued the command to enable the repo type

Code:
                      sudo apt-get install libdvdcss
                      do the install and your go to go.

To make your system deal with almost any multimedia you throw at it, follow the kubuntu 64bit instructions here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Good luck

Comment

.. and post the output of this command:
                        Code:
                        apt-cache policy libdvdread4
                        ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

I put a DVD in and Dragon does zilch.
                          On the DVD front, I assume you are trying to play a commercial disk? If so you need libdvdcss installed to deal with the encryption system.
                          From Medibuntu...
                          To play encrypted DVDs, the libdvdcss2 package is essential.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                            Tim

Can you please post the output of the following command:

Code:
                            lspci
                            so that we can see what sound card you have.

On the DVD front, I assume you are trying to play a commercial disk? If so you need libdvdcss installed to deal with the encryption system. For a variety of legal reasons it is not included in the default install or main repos. You need to add the medibuntu repository. Some useful guidance is here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Once you have issued the command to enable the repo type

Code:
                            sudo apt-get install libdvdcss
                            do the install and your go to go.

To make your system deal with almost any multimedia you throw at it, follow the kubuntu 64bit instructions here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Good luck

00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
                            00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
                            00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
                            00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
                            00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
                            00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
                            00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
                            00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
                            00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
                            00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
                            00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
                            00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
                            00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
                            00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
                            00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
                            00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
                            00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
                            03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Sapphire X550 Silent]
                            03:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 secondary [Sapphire X550 Silent]

Does that help ?

A terrified.

Tim

Comment

Looks nothing wrong with the hardware, the sound card looks pretty generic.

Have you installed the packages referred to in previous posts?

If so I have to ask whether the volume control within Amarok is set to minimum as that is the only reason I can think of for Mp3s not to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X