Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desktop folder is missing not sure how to retrieve it[solved] .chm file?[solved]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop folder is missing not sure how to retrieve it[solved] .chm file?[solved]

So, I'm using 10.10, as some of you guys know by now, the Lenovo S10e, etc.

That aside, on the desktop version, my desktop folder went missing. I accidently hit the 'X' button, and now I don't know how to get the original folder back. I can put other folders down just fine, but I liked the ability to shortcut things. Any help to get this back would be appreciated.
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Re: Desktop folder is missing, not sure how to retrieve it

Unlock Widgets
    Add widget
    Select "Folder View" (defaults to "Home") and drag to desired desktop location
    Click on the wrench to get settings
    Tick "Show the Desktop Folder"
    Done

Please Read Me

Comment

AWESOME!

That most certainly did the trick, thank you very very much for that. I knew that I was overlooking something Dx but I didn't know where to look, got frustrated, was afraid I'd do something really stupid and irreparable, so I shut it down, haha. I didn't want to ruin my system for something this trivial. And your probably thinking "how would he ruin the system...?" well, I've done it before. :P
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

"how would he ruin the system...?" well, I've done it before.
        That's a big club...

of which I am also a member!

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm in that club too. More than once. I have my own parking spot.
          Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.<br />Joseph Campbell

Comment

Haha, I'm in there as well. Mainly for entirealy unintentional things, yet..I still have managed to completely kill my computer, several times.[My HoF being when I was on Windows, and I used their partition software to delete my Ubuntu partition, which didn't work. I was young and dumb back then. Completely ruined my once perfectly functional computer :-X.]

Side note..I have a .chm file. Not sure how to open it using my current installation, on the USB that is. I can open it just fine on my HDD installation, but I might be missing a package or something. I have wine installed, thats a nogo. Not sure what to do here. I know its NOT related to the subject bar, so I'll add it there :P

Comment

Re: Desktop folder is missing, not sure how to retrieve it[solved], .chm file?

Okular should be able to open it. You might have to select Okular from the "Other" list because it's likely not associated...

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, I attemped Okular, at it gives me the error message that it can't be opened, as well as saying

"can not find a plugin which is able to handle the document being passed."

Not sure if this is good or bad exactly..I have kubuntu-restricted-extras installed on the USB, so I don't think thats the issue.

Comment

Here's what google turned up: http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/chm

Looks like you have two choices there.

Comment

There are more than one chm viewers in the repos (including kchmviewer). If I recall correctly, 'okular-extra-backends" was supposed to include a chm plugin as well, but that seems not to be the case anymore.

Comment

@dibl

The search engine stuff didn't help me out the way I wanted it to, hence why I posted on the forums here. I thank you for your help though[Firefox simply got mad at me when I tried to open it up]

@kubicle

The kchmviewer did the trick! Works even better then whatever was working on my HDD install, which means I'm going to immediately get the kchmviewer on my HDD installation, haha. The 'okular-extra-backends', I don't think the plugin is there anymore. Same error messages as before. But thanks for the viewer! I'm especially glad its a "K" version, I prefer KDE over GNOME, haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X