X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice Installation

Hi,
    I worked with OpenOffice under Windows 7. But LibreOffice's first version 3.3 is available. I tried to install it following the instructions on the LibreOffice website. It failed. I have downloaded the files and I have unpacked it. But I cannot install the *.deb files. It looks like the 64-bit bus version is different. Can anybody help and give me a step by step guide to install LibreOffice 64-bit bus version? On the other hand when will LibreOffice be available to download by KPackageKit?.
    Regards

Re: LibreOffice Installation

What exactly is not working? I just recently installed it (3.3) on my Debian system, from the downloaded tarball, and had no issues. Steps:

1. Download the tarball
    2. Copy it to /tmp (that's my way)
    3. Untar it
    4. sudo dpkg -i *.deb

and that's it.

Comment

Open Konsole and use the following commands to add the LibreOffice repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libreoffice-kde

It will take a while to download everything, but it should install and you will automatically get updates this way. The -kde provides a couple of extra KDE integration packages.
      Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.<br />Joseph Campbell

Comment

Hi,
        I tried it as you adviced and I got the following line:
        Read package lists . . . Done
        install: missing destination file operand after 'libreoffice-kde'

What can I do?

Comment

Try splitting the last line into

Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          and then

Code:
          sudo apt-get install libreoffice-kde
          If that doesn't work try

Code:
          sudo apt-get install libreoffice

Comment

Hi,
            it worked. I could download and install something. When I go to Applications and Office I can find LibreOffice. It opens the main window of LibreOffice where you can chose what application (writer, calc, etc.) you want to start. But all applications are inactive. Only the "Open" button and the "Templates" button are active. What is to do now? Is something missing?
            Regards

Comment

What I suspect has happened is that the only the core package has been installed.

Open kpackagekit and in the search box type libreoffice, it should list all the available packages and identify which one(s) got installed - those installed will be with a "tick".

Highlight the package(s) you want (writer, calc, impress, draw etc and select them for installation. That should fix it.

Comment

Hi,
                your thoughts were right. I will download and install everything I need.

Thank you very much,
                Sigurd

Comment

Re: LibreOffice Installation expanded version of dlbl

to expand on dlbls very nice instructions:

a) If one goes to the libreoffice download site, the site will actually try to determine what packing manager one uses and the hardware(AMD, INTEL, etc). and provide those as a download.

b) an expanded version of dlbl's instructions:
                  My download defaulted into the download folder and opened the folder.
                  I then went to "file"(the file structure top) and then to the .tmp folder and opened it and dragged both the "tarballs" of the Libreoffice file and the help file into .tmp.
                  I then right clicked on each tarball, in turn, and picked the command "extract here".
                  That then provided a folder for each with the same name as the tars.
                  I then opened the folder(s) and inside were ".deb" folders.
                  I then right clicked each folder, in turn, and clicked "open in terminal"(this can also be done inside the folder).
                  I then copied and pasted dlbl's line from above:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

There is a critical thing about that line, and that is the spacing between the "-i" and the "*". There is a space between that is not easily seen.

So I just copied and pasted because dlbl knows what he is doing with all the Linuxy stuff and I have no clue!

I then had to provide my password and it installed very nicely.

Thank YOU dlbl for the fine instructions!!!

woodcluelesssmoke

Comment

oops, I just remembered something important. When you untar the Libreoffice download, in addition to a long list of .deb files, there is a folder. Inside that folder is another .deb file. That's the one that integrates Libreoffice with the KDE menu system. So don't omit it -- copy it out of its folder and into the list with all the others, before you run the dpkg -i command. Or, if you've already installed and didn't see it, just grab that one .deb and install it.

Sorry for the senile moment -- better late than never, I hope.

Comment

OHhhh NOOOOWWWWW he tells us!!! lol just kidding!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by Balthazar
                        Open Konsole and use the following commands to add the LibreOffice repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libreoffice-kde

It will take a while to download everything, but it should install and you will automatically get updates this way. The -kde provides a couple of extra KDE integration packages.
                        If you want the US help files you also need libreoffice-help-en-us. If you want another language it might be best to use kpackagekit, muon or synaptic to find them.

I used the method Balthazar posted above to install on two machines - one 32-bit and one 64-bit. Both are running Kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.6 and all LibreOffice modules work on both machines.
                        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                        X