Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop dead need HELP! (solved praise God!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop dead need HELP! (solved praise God!)

I was trying to remove another install of kubuntu on my laptop and after getting the advice and trying that my laptop will not boot at all all it says in grub rescue. Please help. My original post is removing kubuntu from Win7 partition.
    Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Re: Laptop dead need HELP!

Get a LiveCD, boot from the CD, go to the "try" option. Once done that, boot up a terminal, and find your partition with
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Note: that is a lowercase "L"

once you find the right partition, mount it with

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    Note: XY being the last two characters of the drive.

Once done that, you should be able to

Code:
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=DIR /mnt
    to install GRUB back onto your computer, then you unmount the partition

Code:
     sudo umount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    and restart

Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    I believe those are all the correct codes, it is what I did when I needed to reinstall GRUB just earlier today
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

How do I know which partition to use would it be the one with linux as the system?
      Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Comment

If you left Linux on the computer, then most definitely use the Linux partition
        Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

It keeps telling me the unmount command is not found?

Comment

thats umount

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

As Vinny said, its umount, it looked like "unmount" my first time as well, but its simply umount.

Comment

it is not wanting to work for me here is what I have done os far.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 4040 MB, 4040724480 bytes
                125 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1018 cylinders
                Units = cylinders of 7750 * 512 = 3968000 bytes
                Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
                I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
                Disk identifier: 0xbb0eb409

This doesn't look like a partition table
                Probably you selected the wrong device.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                /dev/sda1 ? 444829 685686 933323145+ 66 Unknown
                Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
                phys=(1010, 16, 43) logical=(444828, 47, 13)
                Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
                phys=(906, 97, 3) logical=(131496, 79, 23)
                Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
                /dev/sda2 ? 1 1 0 72 Unknown
                Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
                phys=(101, 116, 32) logical=(0, 41, 32)
                Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
                phys=(370, 114, 47) logical=(0, 41, 31)
                Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
                255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
                Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
                Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
                I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
                Disk identifier: 0x29133921

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                /dev/sdb1 * 1 20721 166436319+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
                /dev/sdb2 20721 28440 62006273 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
                /dev/sdb3 28440 30398 15728640 1c Hidden W95 FAT32 (LBA)
                /dev/sdb4 30399 30402 20664 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
                /dev/sdb5 20721 24449 29945856 83 Linux
                /dev/sdb6 24449 24614 1328128 82 Linux swap / Solaris
                ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount dev/sdb5 /mnt
                mount: special device dev/sdb5 does not exist
                ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /mnt
                ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=DIR /mnt
                /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for DIR/boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
                ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo umonunt /dev/sdb5 /mnt
                sudo: umonunt: command not found
                ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo umount /dev/sdb5 /mnt
                umount: /mnt: not mounted

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Comment

I went searching through the internet to find the exact post that I used to reinstall GRUB for me, and I found it...finally:
                  Reinstalling GRUB 2 from LiveCD
                  If you cannot boot from GRUB 2 and need to reinstall it, here is the simple method. For more details or for advanced options, refer to the Ubuntu community documentation here: Grub2 - Reinstalling GRUB 2:
                  Boot the Ubuntu Live CD (Try without installing).
                  From the Desktop, open a terminal - Applications, Accessories, Terminal.
                  Determine your normal system partition - `sudo fdisk -l` (That is a lowercase L)
                  If you aren't sure, run `df -Th`. Look for the correct disk size and ext3 or ext4 format.
                  Mount your normal system partition:
                  Code:
                  sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
                  If you aren't sure if you mounted the correct partition, once it's mounted run "nautilus /mnt" to inspect the partition. If it is the correct partition, you should see the normal Ubuntu folders such as /bin, /boot, /etc, /home, etc
                  Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
                  Note: The partition to mount is normally the partition on which Ubuntu was installed: sda1, sdb5, etc. If you have a separate /boot partition, use the device on which the /boot partition is located. Grub 2 works best when installed in the MBR of the drive to which BIOS boots. Also remember that you mount the partition (including the number) in this step, but you do not include the partition number when you run the "sudo grub-install" command later.
                  Note: GRUB 2 counts the first drive (X) as "0", but the first partition (Y) as "1"
                  Only if you have a separate boot partition:
                  Code:
                  sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/boot
                  with sdXY being your /boot partition designation.
                  Reinstall GRUB 2:
                  Code:
                  sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
                  Do NOT include the partition number.
                  Example: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
                  Note: Substitute the device on which Ubuntu was installed - sda, sdb, etc. Do not specify a partition number.
                  Unmount the partition *:
                  Code:
                  sudo umount /mnt
                  * Note: If you mounted a separate /boot partition, unmount it first:
                  Code:
                  Code:
                  sudo umount /mnt/boot
                  Reboot.
                  Code:
                  sudo shutdown -r now
                  EDIT: I apologize greatly for my faulty code..I thought I penciled it down right, but look at what that did. I am really sorry about that.

Comment

No need to apologize you helped me so very much it worked. You saved me a lot of grief from my wife. Thank you thank you thank you again.

Comment

Re: Laptop dead need HELP! (solved praise God!)

Praise God indeed!!!

Regards...
                      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I saved you from the fury of a woman? My goodness man, I'm glad I found it when I did!

Jokes aside, it was not a problem. I've been given a lot of help from people such as Vinny, and oshunluvr, snowhog, etc. I figure, since I've been getting a lot of help, I can give help where possible. I knew[to a degree]how to help here. Yes, I goofed up on you, and I still apologize for that. But I managed to get you the correct stuff. It probably saved those guys a lot of time doing the same. Plus, it reinforces what I already know. So things are good. If you see something that you can help in, do so. Thats how these communities are formed. Everyone helps as much as they can.

Comment

you gotta love it when it comes together

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Amen to that thanks for your help.

Comment

I saved you from the fury of a woman? My goodness man, I'm glad I found it when I did!
                              You didn't get the memo? The one that updated "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" to "Hell hath no fury like a woman whose husband can't fix her computer"?

Good job, LinkMaster!
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X