This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing an OS on a mini/USB--helpful advice

So if I were to pull it out ot out and run it on my netbook, bad things would happen?

The LiveUSB would be nice, except for the fact that I don't want to install from it really. I'd like to have a portable OS, without the installation attached to it. thats what my LiveCD is for
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Re: Installing an OS on a mini/USB--helpful advice

I ran into a somewhat similar experience on my Wife's Acer Aspire One - A0521 mini.

It came with Win7 installed. Rather than partition the 250GB HD I decided to install Kubuntu using wubi, which was very easy and went nicely. She used it for almost a month, running Kubuntu exclusively. A few days ago an update installed a new kernel and grub. The next time she booted only Win7 would boot. The steps necessary to fix the problem were more painful than merely booting into Win7 and using the control panel to remove Kubuntu, then reinstall Kubuntu. All she does is email and some web browsing so getting thing back up is no problem.

This experience has caused me to add one addition step for the mini: After I install it I pin the kernel and grub so they can't be updated.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X