Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade KDE from 4.5.1 to 4.5.5(Solved.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade KDE from 4.5.1 to 4.5.5(Solved.)

The title says everything...been looking around ppa and backports but there are lots of backports to add of kde dont want to make unstable my kde and break anything :/ so...going to ask...what's the best method to update KDE??

To anyone who has 4.5.1 i strongly recommend to update kde it becomes much more stable...like amarok on splashscreen wont crash kwin....like it did to me...(thats what at least bugsquad says ) :P

Re: Upgrade KDE from 4.5.1 to 4.5.5??

http://www.kubuntu.org/kde-sc-4.5.5

Hope this is the link and method to do it...cause im going to use it right now..will send some feedback after done...wish me luck! :P

Comment

Yes that was the method now I have a 4.5.5 version but a messge saying:

The configuration file /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc (modified by you or a script) has a newer version /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc.dpkg-new. Please verify your changes and update it manually.

I got no idea of what that means...and what I have to do any help?

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi
        The configuration file /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc (modified by you or a script) has a newer version /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc.dpkg-new. Please verify your changes and update it manually.
        This is simply telling you, that the kdrmc file that is included in the KDE 4.5.5 upgrade is not the same as the one you already have. Why is that? Because you have made changes to the existing kdmrc file. The one in the upgrade is a 'default' version. The upgrade process recognizes that the existing one has been changed and is giving you the oportunity to 1) accept the newer one (default configuration); 2) keep the exiting one on your system (usually the choice one wants to select); 3) compare the two to see the differences; 4) do a merge of the two files (experimental and not recommended).
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Upgrade KDE from 4.5.1 to 4.5.5(After messeges)

Oh ok thanks that makes it clear now for me...i was kind of confused whether i had to change some script or config file for the updates to change or something...Thanks a lot snowhog that was helpful ^^.

Comment

Re: Upgrade KDE from 4.5.1 to 4.5.5(Solved.)

I know this is an old topic. But it helped me 'cause I got the same issue:

I got no idea of what that means...and what I have to do any help?
            And then I found this answer from Snowhog. So instead of trying to fix things myself, I just need to keep my old kdmrc

Thanx for reading (and I hope this kick of the topic is only seen as being helpful to others who might experience the same).

Comment

Working...
            X