This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello this is my first post and I would like you to guide please. I have a doubt about version 10.10 Maverick Meerkat. Will it ever has a LTS version And how long this version will last

Please guide trough this.

Re: 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

> Ubuntu releases
    Ubuntu releases are supported for 18 months. Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) releases are supported for 3 years on the desktop, and 5 years on the server.

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
    Release date October 10, 2010
    End of life date April 2012

> Kubuntu wiki
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Release date 2010-10-10
    Supported until 2012-04

> Ubuntu Wiki DevelopmentCodeNames
    Release Naming Scheme

The official name of an Ubuntu release is "Ubuntu X.YY" with X representing the year (minus 2000) and YY representing the month of eventual release within in that year. Ubuntu's first release, made in 2004 October (10th month) was Ubuntu 4.10. Since the actual release date is not known until it's ready and humans tend to prefer names rather than numbers, a set of codenames are used by developers and testers during the buildup to a release:
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

But does that mean that after April 2012 Maverick Meerkat will be obsolete and I'll be not able to use it

Comment

Originally posted by jpoveda
        But does that mean that after April 2012 Maverick Meerkat will be obsolete and I'll be not able to use it
        Hi and welcome!

From my understanding, non-LTS versions never become LTS, so if you're seeking a version that has LTS, then you should install 10.04.

However, if you wish to install 10.10, access to the repositories shouldn't end in April, 2012 (at least I hope not,) although I don't know if the security updates will continue.

Hope this helps...

Regards...
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Yes and no. This is free world and the Ubuntu is a free software. You could use it after the April 2012 if you want to BUT

> End-of-life:
          End-of-life (EOL) is a term used with respect to a retailed product, indicating that the product is in the end of its product lifetime and a vendor will no longer be marketing, selling, or promoting a particular product and may also be limiting or ending support for the product....

With the Ubuntu this means that the security bugs are not fixed and the repository is removed.

> Ubuntu Packages:
          News

2010-10-10
          Reflect maverick release, add maverick, remove jaunty.
          2010-05-05
          Reflect lucid release, add maverick, remove intrepid.
          2009-10-30
          Reflect karmic release, add lucid.
          2009-04-24
          Reflect jaunty release, add karmic, remove gutsy
          2009-02-21
          Remove feisty.

The old, unmaintained releaseas can be found from the > Old Releases, > Old Repositories.

> How to upgrade an End of Life (EOL) release of Ubuntu to a supported system.

More > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
          X