• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying out v10.10 -help !

20GB for the OS
    4GB for swap
    all the rest of it for data

on a 1 TB drive, would be my advice. The OS actually only requires about 5 GB at initial installation, but it's convenient (IMHO) to go ahead and install the /home directory in the same partition, and then use symlinks from your user folder to your data. So when you download CD and DVD ISO images, they come in to the same directory with the OS -- that's why you leave plenty of extra space.

Benefit of doing it this way: user settings in /home/user don't end up commingled with your actual data. If a reinstallation of the OS is required, you can do it cleanly and without concern about the residual effects of old user settings.

Comment

600gb for system?
      Way-way-way too much. 50gb is more than enough imho.
      And double of your RAM for swap. Other space for data.
      http://linuxblog.darkduck.com

Comment

Very Very interesting ! More thoughts the better. If I have 900Gb for Data, can I put Sym links into the desktop to this Data partition OK ?

: )

Tim

Comment

Yes indeed.

After installation, you will need to make a mount point, for example /mnt/DATA, and you will need to edit /etc/fstab to mount the data partition on /etc/DATA. Then you will need to change the ownership of that mount point to yourself (I'm assuming this is a single user computer). Once that is done, using Dolphin you can make yourself data folder in /mnt/DATA, such as "MUSIC", "PIX", "DOCS", etc. Then, you can split the Dolphin screen, and by dragging the new folders over to your /home/user folder, and clicking "Link Here", you will establish a link that will make your data available in your home folder.

Comment

OMG

shades of Dos ! and now Bash ! Gulp !

On 10.10 how do you get a nice big Bash window ?

A slightly terrified,

Tim

Comment

Alt-F2 "konsole" and make it whatever size you like by dragging on a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                Alt-F2 "konsole" and make it whatever size you like by dragging on a corner.
                Many thanks !

Will try that out Monday when the Drives arrive !

Tim

Comment

Working...
                X