X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with a server

Hey guys,
    Im running a server for a little java game in kubuntu.
    Im having some trouble with it as i can connect to the server from my pc and any local comp. But when someone tries to connect from the outside they can connect, the server dosent even see them trying?
    Any one have any ideas what the problem is?

The port is "Listening"
    And im pretty sure i have the right ip (altho i just used an internet website to tell me haha)

Thanks

Re: Trouble with a server

Just a couple of thoughts ... Do you have a router? Sometimes the ports have to be opened up there. Also, there is a small chance that you have the wrong IP. Although getting it from a website should work, it might look different if your ISP uses NAT.

Comment

Yea i have a modem router, that could be the problem ill check thanks. And if my isp uses nat? heard of it, no clue what it does... haha

Comment

NAT, network address translation. Your router uses it when it goes from the outside IP to the inside 192.168.etc. range - translation, get it? lol

If you live in a city your ISP probably doesn't do that. It's a rural wifi thing. In my case the outside IP goes through 3 levels of translation before it hit's my computer. I'm not expecting "internet visitors" any time soon.

Comment

Working...
        X