This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remove kubuntu from Win7 partition?

Hi I have been trying to move Kubuntu onto its own partition on my HDD and so far with some generous help I have Kubuntu on its own partition, but have not been able to find out how to remove Kubuntu from the Win7 partition. I am kind of stuck any help would be great thanks. Running an Asus eee pc with a dual core atom @1.8 GHz and 2gb of ram and 250gb HDD with nvidia ion discrete graphics thanks again.
    Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Re: remove kubuntu from Win7 partition?

I assume you have done 2 installations of kubuntu, the second on a dual-boot basis and the first with wubi? In that case you need to remove the first installation via the windows add/remove module in control panel.

If I have misunderstood, please come back before doing the above!

Comment

What I have is Kubuntu on its own partition separate from windows and Kubuntu installed along side windows on the windows partition. I want to remove the Kubuntu installed along side windows on the windows partition and keep the Kubuntu installed on its own partition separate from windows. Hope that make sense.
      Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Comment

witch one of the Kubuntu installs is currently controlling the boot loader grub ?

what method did you use to partition your drives for the installs ?

and lastly what do you want to do with the space that will be left after removing the Kubuntu on the windows drive ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Grub is the initial boot loader giving me the choice between Linux and Windows. If I choose Linux it goes to the install on the Win drive. If I choose Windows the Windows boot loader takes over giving me the choice between Windows and the install on its own partition. I guess grub takes over again if I choose Kubuntu because it gives me the same menu choice as in the beginning. What I want to do is remove Kubuntu from the Win drive and let windows have that space back. Each install has 30gb. Sorry if I am being confusing this is a little new to me.

Comment

I think their is some confusion going on pleas post the output of
            Code:
            sudo fdisk-l
            as run from a terminal in one of your Kubuntu's .................thats a lower case L in fdisk -l

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
              255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
              Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
              Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
              I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
              Disk identifier: 0x29133921

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
              /dev/sda1 * 1 20721 166436319+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
              /dev/sda2 20721 28440 62006273 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
              /dev/sda3 28440 30398 15728640 1c Hidden W95 FAT32 (LBA)
              /dev/sda4 30399 30402 20664 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
              /dev/sda5 24615 28440 30725120 7 HPFS/NTFS
              /dev/sda6 20721 24449 29945856 83 Linux
              /dev/sda7 24449 24614 1328128 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order
              Hopefully this will shed some light. Thanks for your help.

Comment

you did a wubi install frome in windows first.............. do like @The Liquidator sead!!

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

I agree with Vinny - I can't see how you can have a Kubuntu install on the win partition unless you installed it with wubi. In that case, to remove it you have to do so from within windows, as it is, in effect, simply another windows app.

What worries me a little is that upon removal of the windows-based kubuntu you will probably lose the grub menu that seems to be the only thing that points toward your 2nd kubuntu setup. It won't destroy the setup per se, but it might remove the means of accessing it, as I suspect on reboot you might simply boot into windows. There is advice on a similar situation here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you both so very much I am so glad there is so much support here.

Comment

Working...
                    X