This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking with Windows Computers

Need some help with this. I am new to Linux, though I have tried it on and off since Red Hat 4. I'm pretty competent with Windows and had experience many years ago with Xenix (early 90's), so I'm not really new to command line.

I have built a home server using an oldish DELL Precision Workstation with Ubuntu server 10.10. I couldn't handle not seeing what was happening, so I installed the Kubuntu desktop. The network has a Linksys Wireless router which is the dhcp server. It has two Windows 7 computers connected (one wired & one wireless) with a networked Canon Multifunction and the occasional use of a wireless connected laptop with Windows 7.

Once I got the server up and running, I set up a network connection and share using Samba as per the Kubuntu documentation. I was able to see the server from both Windows Computer and create directories in /srv/samba/share from the Windows Computers. All good so far, except this portion took the best part of 2 hours to get up and running after trying to get NFS working.

I then looked around for a network back up program and wanted to update the nVidia display drivers. I updated the display drivers using the KPackageKit and also found a program called BackupPC, which appeared to be what I wanted. This was also installed using KPackageKit but not yet configured.

I then found that my Windows computers could no longer see the Kubuntu server. I can see the Windows computers and the Canon from within the server but not the other way. Internet access from the server is fine. When I initially setup the sharing, I could see the server OK even before I set up the samba share folder, but not now.

I've gone back over the Samba set up and even set the IP Address to static for the server to no effect (pinging from the Windows computer gets no reply). I've also removed the BackupPC program and the nVidia drivers just in case. After this I noticed an error message on reboot saying that the Winbind Daemon had failed. but the message goes through so quickly, its hard to pick it up and I don't know where to look for error logs.

This is the message I get when I try to start the winbind daemon from the terminal:

topdogevents@ubuntu:~$ kdesudo /etc/init.d/winbind start
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/topdogevents/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon (at this point the popup for password appears)
    * Starting the Winbind daemon winbind (this happens after supplying the password)
    topdogevents@ubuntu:~$
    One a side note for the moderators, when you go to the Ubuntu documentation, all the links for Gnome go through to the Russian language website?

Computer specs: DELL Precision 490. Xeon X5355, 4gb of RAM, 500gb HDD in RAID1, DVD Burner, nVidia Quadro FS3500, Ubuntu Server 10.10 with KDE 4.5.1

Re: Networking with Windows Computers

Welcome hagar!

I'm not familiar with Samba, but just a few comments. I'm sure Samba has it's own advantages, but since FTP clients and servers are just a click away, or included in all OSs nowadays, I find I have all the functionality I need to move files around on half a dozen computers around here. IOW, it doesn't have to be complicated.

Originally posted by hagar
    . . . I have built a home server using an oldish DELL Precision Workstation with Ubuntu server 10.10. I couldn't handle not seeing what was happening, so I installed the Kubuntu desktop. . . .
    Each to his own, but is there a real need to have a screen and keyboard on a server? I run Kubuntu server here too, but I just stuck the box in the basement and use SSH/Telnet.

. . . One a side note for the moderators, when you go to the Ubuntu documentation, all the links for Gnome go through to the Russian language website?
    Just so you know, this is just a forum. There are not normally any developers here, nor anybody associated with Canonical, Ubuntu websites, or Gnome, as such. Anyway, hopefully there are some Samba experts here who can help you.

Comment

Re: Networking with Windows Computers

Thanks Ole Juul,

The hardware I got real cheap and it will end up being headless.

Being new to all this, Samba is suggested for this in the documentation and it seemed to work OK when I first set it up, though I've read a few posts about slow network speeds with Samba and 10.10.

All I want is to have something that works and is easy to fix if it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
      X