• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No menubar Konqueror or Dolphin after distribution upgrade to Kubuntu 10.10

Kubuntu10.10
    Platform Version 4.5.1 (KDE 4.5.1)
    Version: 0.97-29ubuntu60
    Description: GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version)
    desktop computer
    AMD 9600 Quad Core 2300mhz 64 bit
    GPU PNY 9600 nVidia GeForce 500mb ddr2 SDRAM
    4gb Axiom EEC DDR2 SDRAM 6700mhz
    HDD Maxtor internal SATA 500gb
    Optical Drive internal SATA DVDRW 16X

When I press Ctrl+M, for each application nothing changes. When I open each application in #Root, the Menubar is present. When open in Root, under Settings, there is an option near the top of the list that shows a check for Show Menubar and Ctrl+M.
    <solved thanks> explanation in 'quote'.
    When I open in User:~$ konqueror or dolphin, the menubar is not on the application. In an attempt to add the menubar, I press Ctrl+M; still nothing changes. Apparently I had the selfsame problem in May last year, so my search for help included my own entry. It showed the problem as fixed. Actually, I went into the hospital and had a quad by-pass right then, and did not actually get the help I needed.

Using the text editor, Kate, I opened the file konqueror.rc. When I read the file, I do not understand it. I do not know if the huge amount of colored print indicates a problem, or if that is just how the information is presented. There was dark blue print at the very beginning, then perhaps 100 or more entries that included part of each line green and part red. There was a small entry in beige and a few lines in grey. I attempted to copy the file using Open Office Word, but the colored print always showed as black. I would have included it in this request for help, however, it was so lenghty, I thought perhaps I should await instructions on whether it is needed. Thanks for any help.

Re: No menubar Konqueror or Dolphin after distribution upgrade to Kubuntu 10.10

Ensure that everything - files and folders - in your /home directory are actually owned by you. Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R username:username /home/username
    where username is what you use to login with. If I were to run this on my PC (my username is paul) it would be:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R paul:paul /home/paul
    This will change any file(s) or folder(s) ownership in your /home directory to your user. Then log out and log back in and test the issue to see if it's been resolved. If it is, the problem was a configuration file that wasn't owned by you (likely owned by root). Are you aware of the danger of launching graphical applications from the console using sudo?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Dolphin settings (MenuBar=Disabled)

are in the ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc

Resetting the Dolphin settings to the default:

1) Rename the ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc.
      2) Close all Dolphin sessions.
      2) Restart a Dolphin - new ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc file is made with the default settings.

Konqueror settings (MenuBar=Disabled)

The Konqueror is keeping the settings in the ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/<PROFILENAME>
      <PROFILENAME> is tabbedbrowsing, webbrowsing, etc...

Resetting the Konqueror settings to the default:

1) Rename the ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/<PROFILENAME>
      2) Close all Konqueror sessions.
      2) Restart a Konqueror - new ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/<PROFILENAME> file is made with the default settings.

man konqueror:
      NAME
      konqueror - Web browser, file manager and document viewer.

SYNOPSIS
      konqueror [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [KDE-tempfile-options] [options] [URL]

--profile <profile>
      Profile to open

--profiles
      List available profile
      :~$ konqueror --profiles
      tabbedbrowsing
      webbrowsing
      filemanagement
      kde_devel
      midnightcommander

At here:

Dolphin (Pressing Ctrl + M) and the ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc is having
      [MainWindow]
      Height 1050=656
      MenuBar=Disabled
      Konqueror (webbrowsing, Pressing Ctrl + M) and the ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/webbrowsing is having
      [Profile]
      Height=80%
      Height 1050=668
      MenuBar=Disabled
      Name=Web Browsing
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Ensure that everything - files and folders - in your /home directory are actually owned by you. Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo chown -R username:username /home/username
        where username is what you use to login with. If I were to run this on my PC (my username is paul) it would be:
        Code:
        sudo chown -R paul:paul /home/paul
        This will change any file(s) or folder(s) ownership in your /home directory to your user. Then log out and log back in and test the issue to see if it's been resolved. If it is, the problem was a configuration file that wasn't owned by you (likely owned by root). Are you aware of the danger of launching graphical applications from the console using sudo?
        Thank you for trying. I did as you instructed and nothing changed. In response to your question " Are you aware of the danger of launching graphical applications from the console using sudo?", the answer is no. I am not very instructed in using the konsole, however, I am anxious to learn. After reading your response and the following response, it looks like marking the existing .kde folder as old and booting is probably the option I will have to use. I was hoping to not have so much configuration, however, I did check all the GUI entries for both application to see if I missed a check box or something; so that's my next step. Additionally, I attempted sudo dpkg --configure -a thinking perhaps I had a broken package. That didn't work either. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
          Dolphin settings (MenuBar=Disabled)

are in the ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc

Resetting the Dolphin settings to the default:

1) Rename the ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc.
          2) Close all Dolphin sessions.
          2) Restart a Dolphin - new ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc file is made with the default settings.

Konqueror settings (MenuBar=Disabled)

The Konqueror is keeping the settings in the ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/<PROFILENAME>
          <PROFILENAME> is tabbedbrowsing, webbrowsing, etc...

Resetting the Konqueror settings to the default:

1) Rename the ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/<PROFILENAME>
          2) Close all Konqueror sessions.
          2) Restart a Konqueror - new ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/<PROFILENAME> file is made with the default settings.

man konqueror:
          NAME
          konqueror - Web browser, file manager and document viewer.

SYNOPSIS
          konqueror [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [KDE-tempfile-options] [options] [URL]

--profile <profile>
          Profile to open

--profiles
          List available profile
          :~$ konqueror --profiles
          tabbedbrowsing
          webbrowsing
          filemanagement
          kde_devel
          midnightcommander

At here:

Dolphin (Pressing Ctrl + M) and the ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc is having
          [MainWindow]
          Height 1050=656
          MenuBar=Disabled
          Konqueror (webbrowsing, Pressing Ctrl + M) and the ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/webbrowsing is having
          [Profile]
          Height=80%
          Height 1050=668
          MenuBar=Disabled
          Name=Web Browsing
          Thanks for the attempt. Reapplying defaults requires reconfiguring everything too, I believe, so I just renamed the .kde folder as .kdeold and booted. I started over with working applications that contained the missing menubars. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X