Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moving kubuntu on its own partition?(solved almost)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving kubuntu on its own partition?(solved almost)

Hi all I have just made the move to Linux and I am very pleased so far. My issue is that my brother helped me rework my Win7 partitions and install Ubuntu on its own 30gb partition and I installed Kubuntu alongside Win7. What I would like to do is remove Ubuntu and put Kubuntu on that partition. Am i just having wishful thinking about moving Kubuntu or is this possible. If anyone can help me I know I can find it here. I am running an Asus eee pc 1215N with a dual core atom processor @ 1.8gHz with a 250gb hard drive and 2gb of ram and Win7 home premium 32bit. Thanks again.
    Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Re: moving kubuntu on its own partition?

Not necessary to remove ubuntu. They use the same underlying software. All you need to do is install the kubuntu desktop on your ubuntu system.

This is best done from a command prompt, and not from a gui installer like synaptic.

Open a terminal (would be gnome-terminal in ubuntu) and then:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

You should also install the kdm display manager (if installing kubuntu-dekstop doesn't), or some features of KDE won't work properly:

sudo apt-get install kdm

There might be quite a bit of software that these commands install, it may take a while to download. When you install kdm, the installer will ask if you want to make it the default display manager -- yes, you do.

When you reboot, what was formerly your ubuntu system will now be kubuntu.

This process will install the basics; you may want to add additional software once it is up and running.

Afterwards, you can remove the kubuntu you have installed in the win7 partition. I am really not familiar with that part of it, so someone else might be able to advise you on how to do that.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: moving kubuntu on its own partition?

Thanks for the help it worked perfectly.
      Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Comment

Working...
      X