This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move to trash from external HD fails

I Have recently switched from ubuntu 10.10 to kubuntu 10.10, and backed up all my files in from ubuntu in one folder. I copied that folder back onto the local drive after installing kubuntu and now when I tell it to move the folder on the external hard drive to the trash it won't move it. I have a system moniter widget on and it tells me that as soon as i try to delete it that my cpu is at about 98% usage and that continues indefinitely. However the actual kubuntu system monitor does not detect high cpu usage and the computer responds far too quickly to commands to actually be using that much cpu. The "jobs" bar at the lower right of the desktop also says "one job remaining" but shows no remaining time, and stays for a long time then disappears. When I reboot the folder shows both on the HD and in the trash, but the option to "empty trash" is not available, but if i right click on the folder it allows me to delete it, however the folder remains on the HD.

Re: Move to trash from external HD fails

Due to the large size of a typical backup, when I'm finished with a large backup folder, or even an entire partition, I use the terminal and "rm" to delete it. The default setting for the KDE wastebin is 10% of the partition* or hard drive capacity (as applicable), and my backups are usually way larger than that, meaning it's not possible to use the wastebin like you would on the desktop. I assume you realize that "trash" does not remove the files, or free up the disk space -- it merely moves the data "logically" into the special directory named "~.local/share/Trash".

*To adjust the maximum percentage of the applicable hard drive/partition that is allowed for the wastebin, in Dolphin use "Settings > Configure Dolphin > Trash" and you'll see the setting in % of total capacity. However, depending on your taste for problems, setting a large trash size tends not to make a great deal of sense for typical use cases.

Here's some old background on KDE's trash can:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089824.0

Comment

Second dibls comments.

If you are happy you want to delete it and that you won't want to change your mind, you can within configure dolphin add "delete" to the right click menu.

Obviously, it should go without saying that you should exercise that option with caution.

Comment

> HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

(Dolphin docs)
        [img width=400 height=131]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/737/removing.png[/img]

(Dolphin settings)
        [img width=400 height=154]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1830/snapw.png[/img]

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Excellent, the folder is deleted, I greatly appreciate the help, still getting used to the interface, I was thinking of how in windows if the file was too big for the trash can it would automatically delete the file permanently. Anyway....solved! Thank you again.

Comment

Just to be clear on the first reply here though, if I move a file to the trash and then empty the trash then the file is deleted, correct?

Comment

Yes to a degree - on most file systems there is some level of recoverability. My point is - if you're referring to freeing up the disk space for other uses the answer is YES. If you're referring to forever and absolute secure removal of data the answer is NO.

Please Read Me

Comment

right, that's what i thought

Comment

Originally posted by marqueemark
                  Just to be clear on the first reply here though, if I move a file to the trash and then empty the trash then the file is deleted, correct?
                  Yes.

The only point I was trying to make was that if you had a 100GB backup on a 150GB partition, then the default Dolphin settings (10% of the partition) will not permit you to "move to trash". You can only "rm" it with the terminal, or else follow Rog131's guidance to use Dolphin to delete it.

Comment

Working...
                  X