X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer shuts down for no reason

Originally posted by dibl
    Originally posted by Ole Juul

My Kubuntu system only "blinks" when I use it.
    Hmmmmmmmmm. Ole, are you still running an ext2 filesystem? Because I think ext3 and ext4 does a "sync" to the disk every 5 seconds by default. Of course, you can change it like I do -- mine syncs every 5 minutes (desktop, not netbook).
    Hehe, ya, I'd be the one still using ext2. Anyway, I'd forgotten so just had a look, and it's ext3. Also, I lied. It does blink, just not continuously unless I'm doing something. Staring at it for a little while now, I see there is a blink exactly every 10 seconds.

That is acceptable to me, but the "sync" does sound interesting. Where do I look at that?

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Computer shuts down for no reason

Read down to Par. 3 "Options":

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentat...stems/ext4.txt

I have a partition that is mounted in /etc/fstab like this:

Code:
      UUID=82fffe8d-a8b1-49f7-afce-6ff01bc544bf    /mnt/WHATEVER  ext4      auto,users,rw,exec,noatime,commit=300     0  2
      "commit=300" means the sync happens only once in 5 minutes. This is a desktop system that gets its power from a UPS, so it does not instantly lose power if there is a general power outtage. Use judgement -- the more time you let pass between syncs, the more potential for lost data .... of course when compared to ext2, it's infinitely more secure.

Comment

Working...
      X