This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel Panic on adept-update

I finished installing kubuntu and as soon as all the updates were done and I rebooted... I got a message saying "kernel panic".

I did nothing else,except the fresh install and accepting all the 62 pending updates. Now I don't know if I should apply those updates.

If I do go ahead with the update procedure and the error comes back, how can I fix it ? or at least, how can I get access KDE in order to remove possible updates causing the problem?

Re: Kernel Panic on adept-update

One thing that could have gone wrong is a kernel update (if there is one already, can't remember if there has been a new kernel version packaged after the release of dapper :P) ...however, as kernel updates don't automatically remove the old kernel you should be able to boot your older kernel (from the boot menu) and reinstall the newer kernel.

Comment

In fact, Dapper has now progressed form 2.6.15-23 to 2.6.15-25 (no 24). Also, depending on your processor, you may want to upgrade your kernel from 386 to 686 or K7 (unless you're using a computer built in the early 1990's) or from AMD64-generic to AMD64-k8. I don't think your kernel panic is due to an unoptimized kernel, but an optimized one might fix it.

Comment

well I'm running an AMD Athlon 2800+ processor, but i plan upgrading it to a 64 bit sempron 3000+

I'll try the update again, since it's all i've got left to update/install. What should I do if it fails again?

[update]
        the update went fine, everything seems to be in order

but i'd still like to know how to downgrade the kernel if necessary

Comment

By default the old kernel is left in place. To use it all you have to do is choose it from the Grub menu at boot. If you don't see the Grub menu, come back and someone will tell you how to make it visible.

Comment

yeah, i found that menu screen, thank you !

Comment

Working...
            X