This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resolution wont go above 640x480

I just updated my drivers for my NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT Video Card. Downloaded the .run file from the NVIDIA website and installed it. Now my resolution will no go higher than 640x480. No clue how to fix this

Re: resolution wont go above 640x480

Originally posted by giser3546
    I just updated my drivers for my NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT Video Card. Downloaded the .run file from the NVIDIA website and installed it. Now my resolution will no go higher than 640x480. No clue how to fix this
    With this much information I would say -

re-install Kubuntu, install the latest video driver from the xorg-edgers ppa using Jockey, and reboot.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm new to this sorry im running kubuntu 10.04,

2gb ram
      AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Processor
      Asus M2N68-AM µATX Motherboard

i downloaded and installed
      NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.29.run

I would like to avoid having to re-install kubuntu

is there a way I could just remove the drivers I installed or just reinstall the original drivers kubuntu came with?

Comment

So after some research, clearly not enough, I went into the X11 directory with the intention of replaceing my xorg.conf file with the xorg.conf.backup file. However when I got to the X11 directory I notticed there was no xorg.conf file, only the .backup and .failsafe xorg files. In what I now see as a huge mistake I copied the xorg.conf.backup file into that same directory with the name xorg.conf. After a quick reboot my screen just reads "unusable signal". I assume I changed resolution to something my cheap 22" Sens 1080p HDTV can't handle, but I'm not sure how considering I only intended to replace my xorg.conf file with the one that worked before I tried to update my NVIDIA drivers.

I'm going to try to hook up my 42" LCD to see if it can show a screen image. If thats a no go I'm going to try to boot from a CD and see if i can access the X11 direcotry atleast change it back to the way when I still had a screen image, it was just nearly impossible to read (600x480).

Comment

have you tried using the nvidia-settings program to change you settings?
          run it with
          [code=in krunner(alt+f2)]kdesudo nvidia-settings[/code]

however first you need to fix your xorg.conf file (or just remove it since the system will pick settings via HAL)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Would it be better to fix my xorg.conf file or should I just remove it? How would I go about finding whats wrong with my xorg.conf file, and fixing it.

Comment

just remove it. nvidia-settings should simply make a new one when you use it.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

As far as getting my screen to work so I can make these changes, what should I do? Ive seen some vague mention of a "recovery mode" is this something that would help me atleast get a terminal running, or should I just try to boot from a disc?

Comment

Working...
                X