This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning vertical sync on or off has no changes

Hello everybody, i´m using Kubuntu 10.10 now for a few days. Before using Kubuntu, my operating system was Windows. All things considered Kubuntu is great.

Sometimes there are some graphic errors on my monitor. It looks like some areas on screen would not be repainting. Scrolling the mouse up and down solve this problem temporarily.

Running glxgears says me that the framerate should be the same as the
    monitor refresh rate. I tried to turn vsync off, looking in "System Settings" shows me that VSync was not checked.

I can´t understand why glxgears shows 60fps, no matter if VSync is checked or not.
    I´m not sure wether VSync has somethings to do with my graphic problems or not.

I´m using a "Dell Inspiron 1525" Laptop, with an "Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller".

I hope someone can help me solving this problem.

Re: Turning vertical sync on or off has no changes

Open up your Konsole and type in:

Code:
    glxinfo | head -4
    What does it say there?

Comment

First of all; glxgears is not a speed tester. It was only ever intended to test to verify gl is working. If you're looking for a performance tester, install gtkperf.

Secondly; The Intel graphics processors are the most problematic ones out there. Do some searching on your exact chipset model number and find which driver set works the best for your chipset. I have a GMA945 board that does quite well using the glassen ppa drivers. Also, http://intellinuxgraphics.org/ has a lot of documentation and driver updates. This should be obvious, but make sure your xorg and video driver are the absolute latest versions - at least until you're happy with your results.

Finally; If you're using a /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you can set vsync and refresh rates there. Otherwise, play with xrandr and see if you can discover a better result.

Please Read Me

Comment

"glxinfo | head -4" return the following:
        Code:
        name of display: :0.0
        display: :0 screen: 0
        direct rendering: Yes
        server glx vendor string: SGI
        I will try to find a better working driver. If there is something new i´ll post ist here.

Comment

I´ve found this graphic package on http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2010Q3.html. I think this is the one i have to use.

Now i´m not sure what to do now.

Should i install every of these single components and thats it?
          Or is there a way to use the KPackageKit and install all components in one step?

Sorry for asking so much, i´m totally new to Kubuntu.

Comment

Thats the source package which means you have to compile it. but 2.13 is available in the ppa xorg-edgers repo.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah that looks like something to try. Add
              Code:
              ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates[
              to your software sources by going to KMenu/Applications/System/KPackageKit and click settings/ Edit Origins. At the point it will be the "Other Software" tab and you click Add to add sources. The just update the package manager and you should see the update listed.

Comment

Ok. I did it.
                After adding the ppa to my software sources there were about 10 new packages in my list.
                I have installed those but now there are no changes.

Do i need to activate those or something else?

In addition to my previous problems there is one more.
                My panel on the bottom of my screen changes his color randomly by every new reboot between light and dark.
                But... That problem occurs first by connecting my monitor to my latptop. Maybe this has sth. to do with it.

Comment

Did it have any issues when you had windows installed on it? Hmm...I wish I had more experience with the Intel driver. I usually do ATI. Maybe someone else will jump in here with some Intel graphics driver exp.

Comment

Hmmm..

At the time i had windows on my computer there were no graphicproblems.

Comment

Working...
                    X