X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) kdesudo returns many errors

Hi

I have just installed Kubuntu 10.10 on my desktop. I have been a ubuntu user for some time and wanted to try this flavour.

When I went to add an fstab entry using sudo kate ...... I got a heap of errors relating to the user ID. I checked here and found a thread telling mt to use kdesudo instead of sudo.

However as you can see below a lot of errors resulted. Kate did open and I edited the file, but I would like to know what is happening. Can someone explain?

Code:
    douglas@douglas-M61PME-S2P:~$ kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/douglas/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kbuildsycoca4(2752) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/im-switch.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
    kate(2747)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-douglas" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    kio_trash(2757)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
    kio_trash(2757)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/home/douglas/.local/share/mime/magic"
    klauncher(2647)/kio (KLauncher): SlavePool: No communication with slave. 

klauncher(2647)/kio (KLauncher): SlavePool: No communication with slave.

Re: kdesudo returns many errors

I can't explain but, if it's any consolation, this always happens with me. I've never let it bother me because, like you, Kate always opens the file(s) and I'm able to edit/save without any problems. Perhaps someone else will have a technical explanation.

Regards .....
    Kubuntu User #9802
    Linux Registered User #357086

Comment

You will always see these kinds of output from the console when lauching a GUI app using kdesudo - it's normal.

If you want a 'better' way to launch applications 'as root' (normally Dolphin and/or Kate to perform system maintenance), you can add Rog131's Personal Package Archive (PPA) and install kde-service-menu-rootactions. Rog131 is one of KFN's members and a very trusted resource. This provides you with a Root Actions menu when right-clicking on an item in Dolphin (and Konqueror if you install it). This is one of the most useful additions anyone can implement after installing Kubuntu.

Open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:samrog131/ppa
      This will add the PPA repository and the gpg signing key. Then just type:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kde-service-menu-rootactions
      When it's installed, launch Dolphin from the K Menu, navigate to /etc and right-click on fstab and select Root Actions > Open as Text. You'll be prompted for your password, and Kate will open with the fstab file for editing 'as Root.'
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        You will always see these kinds of output from the console when lauching a GUI app using kdesudo - it's normal.

If you want a 'better' way to launch applications 'as root' (normally Dolphin and/or Kate to perform system maintenance), you can add Rog131's Personal Package Archive (PPA) and install kde-service-menu-rootactions. Rog131 is one of KFN's members and a very trusted resource. This provides you with a Root Actions menu when right-clicking on an item in Dolphin (and Konqueror if you install it). This is one of the most useful additions anyone can implement after installing Kubuntu.

Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:samrog131/ppa
        This will add the PPA repository and the gpg signing key. Then just type:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kde-service-menu-rootactions
        When it's installed, launch Dolphin from the K Menu, navigate to /etc and right-click on fstab and select Root Actions > Open as Text. You'll be prompted for your password, and Kate will open with the fstab file for editing 'as Root.'
        +1

Comment

Fantastic - Thanks snowhog - just followed your advice and it works a treat. Now I can get on exploring other parts of KDE cheers

Comment

Re: (SOLVED) kdesudo returns many errors

Always happy to be able to assist a fellow Linux user.

As you found, always use kdesudo from the console (command line) if you want/need to launch a graphical application 'as Root', as using sudo to launch a graphical application is the surest way to hose your system. NEVER USE SUDO TO LAUNCH A GRAPHICAL APPLICATION FROM THE CONSOLE - NEVER.

You will be well served to become familiar with how Root works in *bunutu, so please avail yourself of the opportunity to review RootSudo

Welcome to KFN.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X