This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so TIRED of WICD

Almost EVERY time I get a update it breaks my wireless and I get into an ENDLESS do loop with WICD and Network-manager-kde conflicting with each other. Or "Network Management Not Configured. "

WICD seems to be the problem. But if I switch to Network Manager, then WPA is not available.

Every time the fix is something a little different.

I have to go into my TRUSTY WINDOWS to write for help.

WHEN WILL THIS BE RESOLVED?

Re: I am so TIRED of WICD

It's not Wicd's fault. The simple fact is that Wicd and KNetworkmanager can't co-exist together. If you want to use Wicd, then take these steps:

1. Ensure packages wicd wicd-cli and wicd-curses are installed.

After these packages are installed, then

2. Remove/purge modemmanager network-manager network-manager-openconnect network-manager-openvpn network-manager-pptp network-manager-vpnc knm-runtime network-manager-kde plasma-widget-networkmanagement
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks...but still get bad password problem. I'm using WPA, would that make a difference? I can connect using wired.

Comment

not sure exactly what your doing wrong, but tripple check you wpa settings , i have several machines w/ knetworkmanager that have no issues with wpa since ~kde4.4 knetworkmanager has worked fine for all networks. i travel often at work and i connect to quite a few networks w/ all different kinds of encryption. (i also maintain ~20 different other machines running kubuntu)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I am still getting the "Bad Password" problem.

I have verified everything related to network manager is removed, and I need someone to stick with me until this is resolved please.

Comment

See Remarks about Lucid Lynx and read the section titled Wicd, Knetworkmanager, netapplet, knm-runtime, etc...

Yes, it's about the experience in Lucid, but it applies here in Maverick.

Comment

I checked this earlier, I checked it again, it's still broke.

I've verified the files that are NOT supposed to be there, I did it thru CLI, through Synaptic, and thru KPackageKit.

Comment

My New Year's resolution is to get my wireless working again. I still have the Bad Password problem.

I have ensured packages wicd wicd-cli and wicd-curses are installed.

I have remove/purged

modemmanager network-manager network-manager-openconnect network-manager-openvpn network-manager-pptp network-manager-vpnc knm-runtime network-manager-kde plasma-widget-networkmanagement

What next? Should I post results of dmesg, or system log?

Comment

lets start w/ the simple stuff lshw section about your wifi card (we don't want to see your mac address, so after the first 2 bytes *'s will do)

also if you can have you tried to connect to a non ecrypted network, or maybe a network of another encryption type. just to varify that your wifi is working.. and one last think i noticed you listed some packages, that you removed. so just double check that you did this

Originally posted by GG
                  Completely removed the following packages:
                  modemmanager
                  network-manager
                  network-manager-openconnect
                  network-manager-openvpn
                  network-manager-pptp
                  network-manager-vpnc
                  knm-runtime
                  network-manager-kde
                  plasma-widget-networkmanagement
                  and
                  Installed the following packages:
                  python-urwid (0.9.9.1-1)
                  python-wicd (1.7.0-2)
                  wicd (1.7.0-2)
                  wicd-cli (1.7.0-2)
                  wicd-curses (1.7.0-2)
                  wicd-daemon (1.7.0-2)
                  wicd-gtk (1.7.0-2)
                  please insure taht you have the remaing packages install (python-urwid, python-wicd, etc..)

good luck , ill check back in on you later to see if ne of that helped.

EDIT::: just remembered be sure you have your backend set to wicd in System settings->Informations Sources -> network management backend.

Comment

Originally posted by evans62
                    I have remove/purged

modemmanager network-manager network-manager-openconnect network-manager-openvpn network-manager-pptp network-manager-vpnc knm-runtime network-manager-kde plasma-widget-networkmanagement
                    Those are all the right packages to remove.

I have ensured packages wicd wicd-cli and wicd-curses are installed.
                    Those three packages, if they were the only ones you installed, don't bring in everything that is needed. Verify that you have python-urwid and python-wicd installed as well.

Comment

Yes, I installed all the ones needed, I just forgot to list python-urwid and python-wicd.

Yes, I have WICD as the first choice under System settings, although I note that Network Manager is there so I made it the last choice, after Fakenet.

Here is my lshw:

-network
                      description: Wireless interface
                      product: 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless
                      vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
                      physical id: 1
                      bus info: pci@0000:03:01.0
                      logical name: wlan1
                      version: 03
                      serial: xx
                      width: 32 bits
                      clock: 66MHz
                      capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                      configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+mrv8335 driverversion=1.56+TRENDnet,08/22/2005,3.2.1.3 latency=64 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
                      resources: irq:21 memory:fdde0000-fddeffff memory:fddd0000-fdddffff

...and here is some dmesg stuff that looks fishy. Why is it listing that networkmanager directory, and why is it changing from wlan0 to wlan1?

[ 22.323828] type=1400 audit(1293922248.081:5): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_replace" name="/sbin/dhclient3" pid=943 comm="apparmor_parser"
                      [ 22.326108] type=1400 audit(1293922248.085:6): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_replace" name="/usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-client.action" pid=943 comm="apparmor_parser"
                      [ 22.326277] type=1400 audit(1293922248.085:7): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_replace" name="/usr/lib/connman/scripts/dhclient-script" pid=943 comm="apparmor_parser"

23.277522] wlan0: ethernet device xx using NDIS driver: mrv8335, version: 0x3020002, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter', 11AB:1FAA.5.conf
                      [ 23.277537] wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
                      [ 23.277592] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
                      [ 23.325414] ndiswrapper: changing interface name from 'wlan0' to 'wlan1'
                      [ 23.325462] udev[382]: renamed network interface wlan0 to wlan1
                      [ 23.435324] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Allocating FIFO number 2
                      [ 23.437585] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: nouveau_channel_alloc: initialised FIFO 2
                      [ 24.080459] EXT4-fs (sda5): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=0
                      [ 24.093662] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan1: link is not ready
                      [ 27.159801] EXT4-fs (sda5): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=0
                      [ 29.267505] sky2 0000:02:00.0: eth0: enabling interface
                      [ 29.267734] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
                      [ 36.207338] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan1: link is not ready
                      [ 36.396045] sky2 0000:02:00.0: eth0: disabling interface
                      [ 36.417149] sky2 0000:02:00.0: eth0: enabling interface
                      [ 36.430116] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
                      [ 36.537677] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan1: link is not ready

Comment

What Ethernet controller do you have? In a console type:
                        Code:
                        lspci | grep ernet
                        I notice in the output of lshw, in the -network section, it shows that the wireless interface is configured with ndiswrapper. You are aware, yes, that when a new kernel gets installed, you have to rebuild ndiswrapper module for it?

Comment

First, note that I added additional info to my message a few minutes ago, so please check that out.

2nd, no I wasn't aware I had to rebuild after a new kernel - never seemed to be a problem before...?

Here is your info:

lspci | grep ernet
                          02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 20)
                          03:01.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)

Can I somehow get rid of ndiswrapper?

thanks, John

Comment

im sure you can remove it but it might be the only way for that card to work, so i would look in to ndiswrapper, and be sure its properly built for your kernel. after looking to see if i can get a native driver to work for the card (check jockey?) .sorry i don't know ne thing about ndiswrapper so i can't be of ne help there.

Comment

Using Konsole, I can get the wireless card to pick up my access point. The minute I try to give it a key, it drops it.

Does that help you figure out what is wrong?

Do I really need to rebuild ndiswrapper module?

Comment

Working...
                              X