This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit support for celeron D

I'm considering putting together a cheap celeron D rig, and I'd like software with 64bit support. Will the AMD64 build support the celeron processor at all, or will I have to just go with the i386 build?

Re: 64 bit support for celeron D

The Celeron D blurb says that it uses "EMT64 technology", I think that means it will work with software compiled for AMD64, but I'm not sure, because there's more to an AMD64 processor than a wide bus. Why not try a REAL AMD64 processor?

Comment

and AMD64's too pricey - I'm trying to put together a computer for 300-400$

Comment

I honestly don't know whether you can put together a home built box for that kind of money with any processor. I think there's a break point somewhere between $700 and $1000 US whereupon it's cheaper (as well as more satisfying) to build it yourself. Below that price point, the commercial manufacturers can use their buying power to put together a better system than you can buying only one MoBo, case, etc. at a time. I'd take a look at a reputable vendor like NewEgg and see what you can get.

Comment

I already have looked into what I can get, and building a reasonably decent system, monitor included for 350$ is quite doable. I was considering going through Dell, for example, but to get a system with similar power would have cost a tad more and not been nearly as upgradable.

Comment

Working...
          X