This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xorg Crash on resume from Standby and Network Connect

I've been using Kubuntu 10.10 32-bit for a month or so now, and overall been very impressed and satisfied. Several problems have cropped up along the way, probably due to my inexperience w/ Linux, but I've been able to resolve all but one of these. The last one that I can't figure out happens whenever I either close the laptop lid (which sends it into standby) or it times out into standby. When resuming, everything appears normal at first and if I don't do anything network related it will stay that way for several minutes. If I have a browser open (any browser) once my network connection is restored (wired or wireless) and I try to connect to a website the screen blacks out goes to the same loading screen I see when rebooting (the graphical one with the 4-5 icons appearing that become non translucent). After 30 seconds or so the computer goes back to normal (but all open programs have been closed, like a reboot), but the log files seem to show that it's just xorg that's crashed, not the whole computer. After this the computer is stable and usable as normal, until the next time I shut the lid or it goes into standby.

The computer is still usable as is, but this is very annoying, and if I can't solve it in the next week or so I think my wife will be losing her patience with this, so any help is appreciated. I've gone through the logs the best I know how and can see where it crashes, but searching the forums for solutions hasn't born fruit thus far. Let me know if particular logs would be useful. I often see the line

kdm[1007]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly

right around the time of the crash.

Thanks!!

SYSTEM INFO:
    Release 10.10 32 Bit KDE 4.5.1
    Dual Boot Installation (Kubuntu 10.10/Windows Vista) Not WUBI
    50+ GB free space for each OS
    GRUB Legacy Version

Dell Laptop PC Core2 Duo 1.5 Ghz 32/64 Bit 1 GB Ram 250 GB HD DVD+/-RW
    Nvidia GeForce 8400 M Graphics (w/ Nvidia Drivers Installed)

Re: Xorg Crash on resume from Standby and Network Connect

You only left out what browser you're using.

I'd be interested to know if it's xorg or the browser crashing or if it's being caused by ACPI or APM.

1> Does it do this if you go to standby without a network connection? Try killing all network connections, then wait a tick and close the lid. Wait a bit again, then open the lid and reports results.

2> After your next crash, read through /var/log/kdm.log, Xorg.0.log, syslog, and messages to see if anything else useful appears there.

Also, the message you posted (X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly) doesn't actually say xorg crashed, rather that it was unexpectedly terminated. I think any indirect re-start of X will generate this message. It still could be xorg crashing, but don't limit your research at this point is all I'm saying here.

KDM is being restarted by whatever is causing the crash which is why you're seeing the startup graphic. BTW, do you have auto-login enabled?

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the input!

I primarily use Chrome, but the same thing has been occurring with FireFox and Rekonq. And yes autologon is enabled, would removing this make a difference?

I also checked to make sure I remembered correctly and the same crash occurs with no browser running and the network (wireless and wired) disconnected (ie no cable plugged in and the wireless switched off via the hardware switch on the side of the laptop case), and it does, but takes about 5-10 minutes instead of immediately like when the network is connected and a browser is used. Interestingly though it when it crashed w/ the network not connected it restarted like I stated above, but when I then turned back on the wireless it connected and then crashed again, instead of being stable after the crash. I don't know what that means exactly.

The only other thing in the logs that looked funny to me was this:
      Code:
      Dec 27 23:08:30 bairdlaptop NetworkManager[1006]: <error> [1293516510.724257] [nm-manager.c:1317] user_proxy_init(): could not init user settings proxy: (3) Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings': no such name
      which happens frequently around the time of the crash. The research I did on this found some other users with problems similar to it, but no real solutions.

I found these problems which are similar, but no solutions provided:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592457
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/658139

Comment

Ok, good start -

First, some advice - if you're using knetworkmanager, I'd dump it in favor of wicd. If you search a bit here you'll see literally hundreds of posts of people having issues with knetworkmanager and wicd is wicked awesome. I doubt this what's causing your crash though.

I asked about autologin because the restart behavior indicated that was the case. I was just making sure it wasn't doing something other than restarting kdm.

I didn't see your laptops exact model there, but I've seen some posts relating to Dells with nvidia cards crashing at wake up.

Further logs to look into: /var/log/pm-suspend.log and pm-powersave.log also ~/.xsession-errors

If nothing is logging, it's usually hardware related so hopefully there's something yet undiscovered.

Could be acpi related to network wake up or video conflicting with acpi/apm.

After you've reviewed the logs and still come up with nada - look at /etc/default/acpid and /etc/default/acpi-support. You could be having dbus incompatibility with acpi. You can switch to the older method of acpi support and see if that does anything.

p.s. take notes on what you change so you can change it back if it kills your system!

Please Read Me

Comment

The laptop is a Dell 1520 Inspiron, I also switched to wicd, but like you said no dice on fixing the issue.

Looking through the other logs the only obvious things that stand out are:

PM-powersave
          /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/sched-powersave true: success.
          Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/wireless true:
          Turning powersave for wlan0 on...Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
          SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
          Failed.

and .xsession-errors
          plasma-desktop(26185)/ Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name"

plasma-desktop(26185)/ Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
          plasma-desktop(26185)/ Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"

[akonadiserver] /usr/bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

[akonadiserver] FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

[/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder] "/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder(26289)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
          [/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder] "/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder(26289)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"
          [/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder] "/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder(26289)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
          [/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder] "/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder(26289)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"

"/usr/bin/krunner(26339)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownObject - No such object path '/org/soprano/Server'"
          "/usr/bin/krunner(26339)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"
          "/usr/bin/krunner(26339)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownObject - No such object path '/org/soprano/Server'"
          "/usr/bin/krunner(26339)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"

The acpi files look like config files, is there anything I should be looking for?

Comment

You might start by looking for a post on this forum regarding akonadi/nepomuk and I believe krunner is used by firefox and maybe other browsers.

The acpi config file offers you the ability to change to depreciated acpi style rather than dbus/hal style connections. Look for

SUSPEND_METHODS="dbus-pm dbus-hal pm-utils"

and change it to

SUSPEND_METHODS= "acpi-support"

and reboot. Never know, might just work...

Please Read Me

Comment

You also might remove akonadi/nepomuk and see if your problem lies there.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X