This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bunch of problems

Hi, I am Linux noob, but I wanted to give myself little Christmas present so I installed Kubuntu, dual booting with Win XP.. after that i encountered lots of problems..

1) Booting Win worked, then i restarted PC and installed Kubuntu after that booting says "BOOTMGR missing push Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" and i have to push F11 and manually choose to boot from HDD and even when i do that only Kubuntu boots, no boot menu with Kubuntu and Windows there... (so now i cant boot windows) SOLVED

2) Internet? I have no problem with programs like Kopete but in rekonq I can only load Google and any other site just won't load or loads for minute or so.. (like Kubuntuforums.net) I think it isnt DNS problem because when i try connecting directly to IP it is the same

3) SOLVED!!!Installing and updating - There's some problem with libgconf2-4 which i can't solve , i tried some guides from the internet, but none worked. Also updating keeps writing "Cannot get the exclusive lock on the packaging backend. Please close any other legacy packaging tools that may be open." INSTALLING SOLVED

so now Iam stuck with nearly no internet, no applications and no windows only thing left is my Android phone

KUBUNTU 10.10
    KDE 4.5.1
    GRUB latest or none? (konsole command doesnt work)

Desktop
    Athlon64 3500+ 2.2Ghz
    ATI X1600 512MB
    1024MB RAM
    2 HDDs 250GB and 320GB

EDIT: I have found my question in Top 20 Kubuntu FAQ but unfortunatly it links to external web which i cant load...

Re: Bunch of problems

I will try to help you out

no.1 = I can't help you with this since i'm don't have enough knowledge in booting stuff

no.2 = I'm sure it's your DNS problem, i experience quite similiar problems with you a couple days ago. and it solved by it self

no.3 = I saw that you use KDE SC 4.5.1 which is kind of outdated, update it through apt or kpackagekit to 4.5.4 it's gonne solve certain issues that maybe you encountered

Regaards

Comment

'Packaging lock' means the installation has not completed properly.
      If you can get as far as the Kubuntu log-in screen enter Ctrl+Alt+F1 which will bring up a console screen. Log in as normal user/pwd then type in
      sudo dpkg --configure -a

It will ask for your password which is exactly the same one as you gave yourself when you set up Kubuntu.
      This should clear the failed install.

Then type in
      sudo apt-get update (does what it says, updates the program list)
      sudo apt-get upgrade (installs the updates)

To reboot from here to see how things are going (or not) type in
      sudo shutdown -r now

Sorry - never used dual boot so don't know how to solve that - but if Kubuntu runs properly at least you can search for answers.
      Jim

Comment

sudo apt-get update = E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
        E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

I guess I will formate HDD and start again with installing Win and then Kubuntu, maybe that will work...

Comment

Ok, after 3 reinstalls everything works :P

Now I have just last question , in SW updates i have 172 updates... should i update them all? or that would cause another problems?

Comment

IF your systems is now working fully without any issues, and you only have the standared/default repositories that come with the installation, then running identified updates is not a problem - in all but very rare cases.

The best way to perform updates - IMO - is from the command line. When you see the updates notification icon, open a console and type:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi, me again

After month I still have problems with DNS, i just cannot use anything else then google and also I found out that sound is not working According to Win Device Manager I have Realtec AC'97 sound board.
              Is there any simple solution?

Comment

You have 2 entirely different and unrelated problems there. It would help everyone to deal with one of them only.

(1) Ethernet connection to the desktop PC? How does your network connect to the Internet?

(2) To be certain of your hardware, run
                Code:
                lspci -vv
                and post the bit that starts approximately like this:

Code:
                00:1b.0 Audio device: Realtek .....
                Also is that PC a certain brand and model, or did you build it. If you built it, what is the motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomaco
                  sudo apt-get update = E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
                  E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

I guess I will formate HDD and start again with installing Win and then Kubuntu, maybe that will work...
                  This basically means that either some process is still running to update your system or this process has died and not cleaned up after itself. Best to restart the computer (there are other ways, but let's stick with this one for the time being) to make sure no process is messing with your packaging, then delete /var/lib/apt/lists/lock by typing:

Code:
                  sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
                  And bingo, you can use your synaptic/apt-get/dpkg again as if nothing has happened.
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    (1) Ethernet connection to the desktop PC? How does your network connect to the Internet?
                    (2) To be certain of your hardware, run
                    Code:
                    lspci -vv
                    Also is that PC a certain brand and model, or did you build it. If you built it, what is the motherboard?
                    1.I connect to the internet by router (ethernet port)
                    2. only thing about audio there is
                    Code:
                    00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
                    I have built my computer, motherboard is ASRock 939S56-M (it's about 4 years old)

Comment

Update for sound problem... ......
                      My sound level was at max ... but Mute was ticked... ok sorry

Comment

Good! You aren't the only one, but you are one of the few who will admit they didn't find it at first.

How about the networking issue? Is it a DNS thing -- what is the "domain", "nameserver" and the "search" in your /etc/resolve.conf file?

Comment

hmm, is that wierd? I dont have any domain or search things there only

# Generated by NetworkManager
                          nameserver 85.237.225.250
                          nameserver 192.168.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Tomaco
                            hmm, is that wierd? I dont have any domain or search things there only

nameserver 192.168.0.1
                            As a minimum, open that file with Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate" and comment out the last line, so it looks like this:

Code:
                            #nameserver 192.168.0.1
                            Do "File > Save", then you'll have to reboot your computer. That last "nameserver" is actually your router. :P

EDIT: Maybe this gives some ideas: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

EDIT #2: There are 2 OpenDNS IP addresses in the yellow box at the bottom of this page (but please read the page before doing anything with your /etc/resolve.conf file): http://www.grc.com/dns/configuring.htm

Comment

I cant run benchmark because i dont have Wine and even bigger problem is that after changing resolv.cfg, saving and rebooting, it returns to its previous values ...
                              I just wonder why Google works so brilliant

Comment

Working...
                              X