This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Experimenting Help

I've recently switched to Kubuntu from Windows. I'm enjoying it and eager to learn how to use the system and all of these applications. The problem is sometimes things don't always work out the way I'd want them. For instance, when I tried exporting an OpenOffice Draw document as an svg and opening it with GIMP, my system froze(or if it was doing something it was going to take a long time.) So I have a few questions
    1. It might be a stupid question, but why did this happen? I have only a basic knowledge of programs like these so why this basic step would cause my computer to freeze is beyond me.

2. How can I deal with this? I tried looking it up but all I get references to the SysRq button(which for me is under print screen), which I don't understand. I tried a few suggested key combinations, most did nothing, but the SIGKILL one sent me to the command line. I was able to reboot from there, but if there's a better way to deal with this I'd like to know

3. How can I avoid things like this? Do I just need to learn more about what I'm working with? Or are there some guidelines.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Experimenting Help

Hi
    You did nothing wrong as far as I can discern.

a) I have a very high end machine which can easily handle any kind of graphics work.
    b) I made a very small drawing in Open Office Draw, basically a couple of squiggles with the pen tool and exported it to .svg.
    c) I then opened GIMP and attempted to open the drawing and what I saw in the "preview" was what "looked like" a grey version of a "transparent" document.
    d) The machine then completely locked up and I had to manually turn it off. I was kicked into the dreaded tty1 mode and am glad that did not happen to you.
    e) I do not find an "import" on GIMP so it is not that you "should" have imported.
    f) Here is a thread about how GIMP "traces" things, especially fonts and how it can lock up with an .svg image.

http://registry.gimp.org/files/plugin-trace-notes.txt

So...I, personally, think you did nothing "wrong" here.

Since you say that you are relatively new from Windows I would give two pieces of advice.

a) I realize that OpenOffice Draw seems to be pretty much like MS Paint, and on the surface it does seem to kind of mimic it, but I have always had problems with the program saving the images in a way that other programs can open them.

b) GIMP seems to be pretty complicated, and I thought so at first myself, but it really is not. There is a plugin for GIMP in synaptic that will make it appear to be pretty much like the "previous" iteration of PhotoShop if you are familiar with it.

I teach at a college and do a lot of pretty heavy duty stuff in terms of publishing books etc. Except for one crossword puzzle making program I moved completely to Linux several years ago.

Again, I don't think you did anything wrong and hope that you stick around to enjoy the fun.

again, welcome!

woodsmoke

Comment

Yep, I second what woodsmoke said. Gimp is the right answer for almost everything graphical that you need to do. Also install imagemagick to convert stuff.

FYI, I am no graphic artist, nor any other kind of artist. But, using gimp, I have done every bit of image sizing, digital enhancements, labeling, "key to names", the wallpaper, and every other graphical item that you can find on this web site: http://www.landofthebuckeye.net/

Just shows what a novice can do with a good tool.

Comment

Thanks for the info, especially about modifying GIMP to look like photoshop, that will be really helpful. I'm planning to learn the basics of using all of these programs (GIMP, especially because of the utility), just poking around right now. One more thing, the documentation you referred me to gave me an understanding of why this screwed up, but it also seems to suggest Inkscape. I downloaded the entire openoffice suite and that's why I'm using draw, but would inkscape be a better option. And is Draw, Inkscape, like illustrator as opposed to photoshop?

Comment

I had good luck with inkscape the first and only time I have used it. IMHO, gimp works with pixel maps (arrays of pixels) where Inkscape works with vector graphics (vector defined elements, think cad system). What to use is dependent on your end.
          FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
          X