X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restore lower bottom panel taskbar lucid 10.04 plasma desktop

Hi

If you have lost the lower panel and are reading this then you maybe have a browser running on the machine, possibly from CairoDock or from a widget.

I thought this might be of help if someone has lost the "lower" or "normal" panel, it can have been moved to the top. It is what is called the "taskbar" in Windows world.

Since the panel is gone, if one is, indeed, using the "plasma desktop", then one can still get at the "widgets", so right click on the desktop and add a panel, it does not matter where. Then add widgets and add an "application launcher". You will see the normal application launcher, or "kicker" or "menu", of applications and go to applications/system/terminal and then copy and paste this command.

kquitapp plasma-desktop; rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc; plasma-desktop &>/dev/null

Hit enter and the lower panel will magically appear!

Now, I know that the following idea is gonna sound kinda silly but it might be an idea to put the above script in a text doc and put it on a pen drive or on a cd(I know it is kind of a waste of a cd but if it is 2 a.m. and one is desperate.

Another thing might be to keep it in a text file on the computer desktop and in docs also as a preventative measure.

I can't take credit for the above, I got it from the Kubu section of the Ubu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469243

woodsmoke

Re: restore lower bottom panel taskbar lucid 10.04 plasma desktop

what you are actually doing here if first re-creating the missing panel manually, and then removing the config file that contains information about any plasma widgets and activities you are running (not just those on the panel). After recreating the panel, the command line part is unnecessary and redundant as by removing the rc file and re-starting plasma-desktop, you re-create the default desktop setup you just re-created

Comment

Soooooo you are saying that since I am the old woodsmoker that I have been around too many wood fires and therefore fried my woodsmoked brain.....

woodIguessIunderstandthatsmoke

Comment

Nope, I am saying you basically did the same thing in two different ways back-to-back :P

Comment

moi!?

Oi would do THAT!!?

but it woiked!! lol

woodbacktobacksmoke

Comment

Working...
          X