This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ViewSonic VX2739 Monitor "No Signal"

On Board Graphics 8200 nVidia GeForce, PNY 9600 nVidia GeForce 500mb ram card, AMD 9600 Quad-Core 2300mhz each core, 4GB ECC DDR2 SDRAM, current monitor ACER 22, new monitor ViewSonic VX2739 1920 x 1080 WUXGA. OS is Kubuntu Lucid 10.04.

On the ViewSonic Monitor, I get 'No Signal'.

This monitor is a 1ms response version with 100,000:1 contrast. (Don't know if relevant.)

I have verified the connections; there are no bent or damaged pins. Each cable has been verified solid installation. 22" ACER works fine. 27" ViewSonic does not seem to be recognized.

I have 2 monitor connections on my Video Card. Neither works with the ViewSonic Monitor, response always 'No Signal'. I have switched cables to make sure that the cable that works on the 22" Monitor is tried on the 27" Monitor to make sure the cables are working properly. I have connected the 27" monitor to the On/Board GPU but still get a 'No Signal'. I currently have the latest drivers for nVidia cards installed, however, I installed the 173 driver to see if that might work. Same results, 'No Signal'.

I don't know the proper commands to provide internal data. Primarily I will use this monitor for multimedia purposes, not games, though. I would like to have both monitors connected with each monitor independent of the other, if possible.

The power cable seems to be working properly.

ViewSonic did not provide any Linux drivers, however, when registering, Linux was provided as an OS, among their other OS's, when declaring my operating system.

How do I get the new monitor recognized.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

steven@Yeshua:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release | grep DISTRIB_RELEASE=
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
    steven@Yeshua:~$

Desktop Computer

steven@Yeshua:~$ lscpu
    Architecture: i686
    CPU op-mode(s): 64-bit
    CPU(s): 4
    Thread(s) per core: 1
    Core(s) per socket: 4
    CPU socket(s): 1
    Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
    CPU family: 16
    Model: 2
    Stepping: 2
    CPU MHz: 2310.413
    Virtualization: AMD-V
    L1d cache: 64K
    L1i cache: 64K
    L2 cache: 512K
    L3 cache: 2048K

steven@Yeshua:~$ lspci | grep aphic

Platform Version 4.4.2 (KDE 4.4.2)

500gb SATA internal

DVDRW SATA

Re: ViewSonic VX2739 Monitor "No Signal"

'No Signal' comes from the monitor -- it means it is either not receiving any signal from the graphics card, or (more likely) the signal that is coming in is outside the horizontal and vertical sync range of the monitor.

You're going to have to add an option to the kernel boot line in your boot menu. There's some info in FAQ #2 in the FAQs in my signature.

This table shows the standard vga codes for Linux -- note that there isn't one for 1920x1080: http://manual.aptosid.com/en/cheatcodes-vga-en.htm#vga

I would first try "vga=791" and see if you get a 1024x768 boot screen. If so, that should let it get through boot, to the point where the Nvidia driver (i.e. "nouveau" for default kubuntu) will load, and run X.

Comment

Re: ViewSonic VX2739 Monitor "No Signal"

Originally posted by dibl
      'No Signal' comes from the monitor -- it means it is either not receiving any signal from the graphics card, or (more likely) the signal that is coming in is outside the horizontal and vertical sync range of the monitor.

You're going to have to add an option to the kernel boot line in your boot menu. There's some info in FAQ #2 in the FAQs in my signature.

This table shows the standard vga codes for Linux -- note that there isn't one for 1920x1080: http://manual.aptosid.com/en/cheatcodes-vga-en.htm#vga

I would first try "vga=791" and see if you get a 1024x768 boot screen. If so, that should let it get through boot, to the point where the Nvidia driver (i.e. "nouveau" for default kubuntu) will load, and run X.
      Dear Dibl,

Unable to get to a screen where the above could be addressed, here is what I got when attempting to boot to screen that might give that choice.

When I entered the boot menu, here is what I got. The screen was blue with white print, instead of a dos-like screen with black background/white print. There weren't any choices of different boot options; there wasn't even a 'Safe Mode' choice. There was only what is shown below.

= = Select a Boot First device = =
      > Removable
      Floppy Disks
      > Hard Disk WD50WAPS-00S9BO
      Sata 1 WD
      > CDROM
      Sata 2 HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22LS30

><:expand/close (up/dn) arrows:Move Enter:Accept F4:Exit
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next screen had a black background with white print. Before I expected and had access to a pen, all I could get was the following, ([15.349781] nForce2_smbus.........) That was as far as I got before boot continued. I attempted to get back the same page by booting again, but instead of the same information coming up, a new set of data came on screen and read as follows:

Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
      Boot args cat /proc/modules; ls /dev

Alert: /dev/disk/by-uuid/dbdeda93-3doc-4993-9bd2-7b2626ddde92 docs not exit. Dropping to a shell!

Busy box v1.13.3 (ubuntu 1:1.13,3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash) Enter 'help' from a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _ (the '_' was blinking and I assume the request for typing in a command)

The ViewSonic 27” monitor remains a completely black screen, as though it has not been recognized. No options or choices appear on screen. The On/Off button then goes from blue to orange, a color that appears to be standby. I suspect I will have to edit the boot menu to force recognition of the 27” monitor. Then I expect on-screen advice or configuration choices may appear. That is unless the monitor is defective and has to be returned.

Additionally, there are two USB connectors on the bottom of the 27” monitor. I plugged the keyboard into one and the Microsoft cordless mouse sending unit into the other. When depressing the 'caps lock' button to create a light on the keyboard, no light appeared. Additionally the light on the mouse sending unit did not light up, so either the USB connectors were not active or the USB ports are defective.

I don't want to return the monitor if it is functioning and not working because of programming in the boot menu. I have contacted the seller; he is willing to accept the return and send another unit or refund my purchase. That would not be fair if the problem is in the grub. I have 30 days to execute this option from 12-16-2010. I have never received a defective monitor before, so I am inclined to believe it may be a problem in the grub. However, this monitor appears to be a new level of technology with the 1ms response time and the 100,000:1 contrast, so perhaps drivers haven't been created yet, which is beyond my knowledge level, so perhaps the monitor is OK and drivers that work with the new configuration need to be made. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X