This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Trouble Connecting via Wireless running Kubuntu 10.10 on HP G50

Ok... My wireless card and drivers seem to be working because I can see available wireless networks. Now here is where it gets more interesting... I used a live version of Backtrack 4 on this laptop to crack a network and get the WEP and when I used the WEP on my Windows laptop I could access the internet (hence this post) but when I try and use the same WEP on the laptop (HP G-50 Atheros 5k card) running Kubuntu 10.10 in the network manager icon in the task bar I can enter in the passcode but it never connects. The authentication window keeps popping up asking for the same password I have given it but when I press ok it just prompts it again in another 2 min because it doesn't connect. Another thing is that in the network manager every wireless access point that uses a WEP encryption has a yellow symbol with an exclamation point in it where as the WPA/WPA2 connection have a green symbol with a check mark in to any help would be lovely!!!!

Re: Trouble Connecting via Wireless running Kubuntu 10.10 on HP G50

thats cuz wep is extremely insecure and relatively outdated (the icon)

you could try switching to Wicd and seeing if that helps with the WEP login

Comment

Re: Trouble Connecting via Wireless running Kubuntu 10.10 on HP G50

And how would I go about doing that

Comment

Re: Trouble Connecting via Wireless running Kubuntu 10.10 on HP G50 (solved)

Ok so the issue was more with the type of encryption setting I was selecting in the drop down. Finally back on track with where I need to be thanks for the the help.

Comment

Working...
        X