X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Windows Multi-Boot

Hey!
    I'm now downloading Kubuntu and want to install it, but i'm also running Windows XP Proffesional and i want to keep it. So i need Kubuntu and Windows XP in a Multi-Boot or Dual-boot i don't know how you call it. So if i install Kubuntu, will there automaticly be a multi-boot screen where i can choose between windows and ubuntu? or does i have to do somethings to make a multi-boot screen?

Re: Kubuntu Windows Multi-Boot

The kubuntu installation should take care of your dual boot configuration, and configure grub in order to offer you the choice at boot time. As you probably know, though, dual boot probably implies that you repartition your disk, in order to free space for your linux main and swap partitions, so be cautious, and make a backup of your data first.

Comment

Welcome to Linux:

To answer your specific question: Yes, the Kubuntu installer will automagically install a menu which will include Linux, a Linux recovery mode to use when something goes wrong, and Windoze. For future information, this file is called "/boot/grub/menu.lst" The problem is that you may not see this menu when you start Kubuntu. If you don't see it come back here and we'll tell you how to make it visible. Hey, it's better than windoze which won't acknowledge that you have a Linux partition and will try to erase it, if you let it.

To amplify bensoussan's comments: Use a windoze partition management program (like Partition Magic) to free up space for Linux. 10 to 15 GB will be more than enough, but don't format it. In addition, make a small 1 or 2 GB FAT32 partition so that you'll have a place to exchange documents from Linux to windoze. Linux can't write to ntfs partitions (because M$ won't let them), but any OS can write to a FAT partition. Then when you install Kubuntu, it will format your unformatted space for Linux.

Comment

I am thinking of creating a dual boot system too, with winxp running already. You said that the partitioning should be done in windows. What if I want to do it with Kubuntu during the install process? Can I do it?

Comment

Yes, but. The problem is that you have to reduce the size of an ntfs partition. A third party windows program like Partition Manager or equivalent, is less likely to destroy your windows data while doing that. Similarly, even though, PM (and maybe other windoze partitioners) claim to be able to set up Linux file systems, you're safer setting up Linux file systems with Linux. All of that said, be sure to backup anything you're not willing to lose, before you start.

Comment

Working...
          X