This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help to connect to internet[SOLVED]

I am very new to Linux, and I like what I see, but I don't know how to do anything in it. I'll give what information that I can, and what I'm wanting to do.

I have just downloaded and installed Kubuntu 10.10 on a CD, and I'm running a netbook. I can install the Kubuntu fine, for I did the "Test Kubuntu" first, and I liked it, so I want to duel-boot my computer with the Kubuntu and the Windows XP that I'm currently using. I've used XP most of my life, so I'm fairly good with it, but I don't know how to use Linux for the life of me. If someone can give "stupid-directions" For a very new person, that would be appreciated. Such as, how to connect to the internet. The wireless router I'm using is a netgear, I don't know the model number and stuff, but its WPA2 protected. I use static IP, so I don't have to configure anything like that. If someone could explain how to connect to the internet with Kubuntu, that would be nice. I am intense on learning how to use Linux, so, after you give the very broken down instructions, you can give more advanced directions so that I can learn the "language" of Linux command. Thank you for any help you can give, and any and all is appreciated. Oh, on a side note, I have a small amount of experience in OpenSuse Linux, which was the Linux my school used.

If there is any more information you need, ask me for it, and I will do my best to give it. Once again, thanks for any future help.
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Re: Need help to connect to internet

i quite new two with some problems getting my wifi to work, but my wired is workin great! sooo...that means ive spent alot of time and frustration going from screen to screen and setting to setting to get things going, so hopefully i can offer you a jump point?

Start bar, applications, system settings, under network and connectivity, network connections, network connections.

1 tab for wired, next tab is for wireless, then there are more for vpn ect.

under wired, just add or modify one if theres already one there. once in there, it should be really stright forward, same as windows. set ip settings how you need them, ip, subnet, gateway, dns etc, all OS independant!

hope that helps!

on thing i found is that there is a really cool plasmoid (widget) ie. desktop program ) that you can use you monitor network output on wired/wireless, along with important things such as hd usuage, temps etc. dunno if you know about plasmoids, but heres how you add it:

right click on the desktop area, click unlock widgets. then right click on the desktop again and click add widget. a screen pops up on the bottom with icons of all the widgets available to use on your computer, and there is a button that says get new widgets. click download new widgets and you can browse new ones, or search for something specific by keyword or name. it might already be installed, i think it was on mine... look for one called network monitor. click on the icon and drag it onto the screen. position it where you want and to the size you want, then right click on the desktop again and click lock widgets, now its a program that runs on the desktop that is kinda in the background that doesnt show up on the task bar as an open program, so it doesnt interfere with multiple user displays that linus can do (kinda like extended desktops without needing extra monitors for the space)

hope this helps!

Comment

netbook model, as well as wireless card used if possible would be a good start. The router used isn't much of an issue here, it is most likely related to the wirless ship on your netbook. Fortunately, we should be ale to narrow things down a lot if we can get that info on your hardware.

Comment

I don't have as much time to reply as I would like so I am just going to drop you a few quick things that help me.

Be connected to the internet when you want to do system stuff. Most of the time it isn't necessary, but it is a lot easier when you are and it is necessary. Use a wired connection and DHCP if you have to, it is unusual that all of the networking features of your netbook do not work.

Second, I hate Network Manager. I always replace it with the Wicd networking package because it seems more intuitive. But that is just me.

If your device, your wireless card that is 1 inch by 1.5 inches or less connected to the antennae, is not recognized by the kernel it may be worth it to get a more mainstream or popular card. They are relatively cheap.

A command you can run from the command line to see most of your hardware is:

lspci

My wireless card buried deep in the middle is reported as such:
        02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

Because I can see it, I know the kernel recognizes it.

Take care,
        -Brad

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          netbook model, as well as wireless card used if possible would be a good start. The router used isn't much of an issue here, it is most likely related to the wirless ship on your netbook. Fortunately, we should be ale to narrow things down a lot if we can get that info on your hardware.

My netbook model is a Lenovo S10e, and the wireless card is a Broadcom 802.11g. Anything else? Also, I was given some links via message that has all sorts of newbie Linux guides in it, which I'll be reading as much as possible, and I think one of the later sections is related to internet connectivity. I think.
          Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

All you may have to do is run the Restricted Driver manager while hooked up to a wired connection.

Kmenu >>> Applications >>> System >>> Additional Drivers

your Broadcom wireless chip seems to be supported in Linux, it is just that it needs some non-libre firmware, which the driver tool will download and install the required firmware files

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
              All you may have to do is run the Restricted Driver manager while hooked up to a wired connection.

Kmenu >>> Applications >>> System >>> Additional Drivers

your Broadcom wireless chip seems to be supported in Linux, it is just that it needs some non-libre firmware, which the driver tool will download and install the required firmware files

Yeah, see..Some of that makes absolutely no sense to me. I know how to work a wired connection, but if I can't get connected to any form of wireless, or other form of connection, how would a forced wire connection do the trick? Just wondering. Though, the book I'm reading is about to unveil how to connect to the Internet, so perhaps it can explain in stupid language, which is what it appears I need Dx

Comment

you need to connect to the Internet in order to download the needed firmware files. The Drivers tool does just that.

You can set up a static ip for a wired connection, but you should also be able to just connect a cable to your router and let dhcp get you connected enough to get your firmware downloaded anf installed.

Most linux systems nowadays automatically try to connect a wired connection via dhcp when it detects the cable being plugged in.

You book will probably explain in code-y geek-y detail, which is good for learning, but really Linux users seldom have to resort to editing those config files and issuing those commands

Which book are you referring to?

Comment

I get the impression he does not have access to the router he is trying to connect to. Wired connection not possible. Correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

not in normal-human English unfortunately, but here is the Ubuntu help page for this;
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx
                    It includes instructions for non-connected machines, but in this case you have to download the firmware files on something with an internet connection

Comment

Hey guys, I thank you for all your help, I reworked my computer, and put the Kubuntu on my computer, and sat around fiddling with it, and I finally figured out how to connect to the internet. So, I'm typing this from the Kubuntu on my computer!

So, for all of you that were trying to help[and I did remember and refer to some of the posts above] I thank you greatly, and I'm looking forward to using the Kubuntu more and more.

Of course, I'm going to need help with something else, now that I got internet. I'm trying to configure Kopete to connect with my Yahoo messenger, since that supposedly works? Thats what I thought at least, and if it does, can one of you perhaps direct me in how to do it? And if not, tell me so that I'm not trying in vain. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X