Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot figure out how trash is supposed to work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot figure out how trash is supposed to work?

When I try to empty the trash a dialog box with a progress bar opens up and does absolutely nothing. When I look in "$HOME/.local/share" I find a folder named "Trash" which in turn contains folders named "files" and "info". None of these folders contain any files. However, the Dolphin file manager has a location designated as "trash:/" (whatever that is?) and displays a folder that I recognize to be something I moved to the trash. This folder contains a web site with lots of subfolders and files. If I try to "delete" the folder I again get the dialog box with progress bar that does absolutely nothing. Maybe I should say it seems to be hung. Then if I navigate to files or subfolders and try to delete them I get an error message saying-

- Access denied to trash:/1 ...

The owner and group of all of the files and folders corresponds to the signed on user represented by $HOME . What gives?

Re: Cannot figure out how trash is supposed to work?

I suspect you are looking in the wrong place. I think that is the wastebins config directory and not the wastebin itself.

If you open the file manager dolphin you should see the wastebin in the panel on the left hand side. Alternatively you can:

1. In the box at the top of the kmenu type waste and you will see an icon that you can drag to the desktop

2. Right click on the panel and unlock widgets. Right click again and select add widgets. The available widgets will appear, one of which is the bin. Click on it to insert in the panel. Then right click anywhere on the desktop to lock widgets.

Both methods will give you a usable bin that you can use with a right click.

Hth

Comment

I've determined that I can move something new to trash and then delete it by using Dolphin to display the trash and then select the specific new item. There seems to be one item in the trash that cannot be deleted. Some questions that come to mind -

- Where in the file system is the trash stored?
      - Dolphin refers to a location as "trash:/". What is that?
      - What causes system to hang when I try to delete this item?

Comment

I think I finally have been able to find the trashed files. It seems there is a directory with a name starting in ".Trash" in the root of the file system where the trashed folders were located. Note - in this case we are talking about a separate partition. I used konsole to open a window for command line operation and made the ".Trash-1000/files" directory current. Then using a recursive remove command I was able to delete the files. This took a very long time to run which suggests to me that I may not have allowed the empty trash dialog enough time to run. However, I'd point out that the progress bar provided absolutely no feedback. In that it stays on zero. Also even though the dialog ran for a long time before being canceled it seems that no files were deleted. I also removed the trashinfo file and now have a trash can icon that says it is empty.

Comment

With ext(2)(3)(4) filesystems, each partition gets a .Trash-1000, a .Trash-0 (for root) and a "Lost & Found" directory. Or so it appears on my pile of partitions.

Also note that the status of such directories get updated when the updatedb process runs, which is not realtime. So, your little trashcan graphics may not show the trash disappearing immediately after you "emptied" it. But, you can run
          Code:
          sudo updatedb
          and bring it up to date any time you wish.

Comment

Working...
          X