This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] INTEL Wi-fi issue.

I have searched the forum and replied to a few related previously discussed threads as well as visited a few links about related issues from the posts.

I have yet to find any fix for my situation and hope that with being the other threads are indeed a few years old maybe someone understands the issue.

My wireless card seems to turn on and off - the light indicates.

Blue light on/off on/off --- the network card is identified by Kubuntu 10.10 and shows its using the IPW2200 drivers.

I am a total noob here! However the network setup works fine within the Windows XP environment and the light never turns on/off - just stays lit.

Any ideas? I just installed Kubuntu and now I don't think I will have use for it without my Wireless connection to the world...

Thanks

Re: INTEL Wi-fi issue.

Hi....

I have previously read posts in other forums about this and if it's what I'm thinking, your connection works fine and its just the light blinking letting you know that data transfer or communication is taking place. Nothing is wrong.

I have an HP laptop with an Intel wireless chip and my light does the same thing when data transfer is taking place....blue/orange....blue/orange....blue/orange continuously. Yet, when I'm running Vista, the light stays solid blue.

I hope this helps put you at ease.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hi and welcome

My Dell Inspiron 630m laptop has that wireless card and it's been supported by 'buntu ever since I bought it in 2006.

The wireless LED is another matter though. On clean boot you can only make it show by switching the wireless off and then back on, or hibernating and rebooting. It's on then - however it stays on until I reboot, even if I switch wireless off I have learned to view that as unimportant, as there are other easy ways to see whether the wireless has been switched off.

The crucial bit is - can you get on the internet? If you have that card and the answer is no, your issue is probably one of configuration, with which we can help you.

Comment

Alright -

The LED in which I am referring to is not a "Tx/Rx" LED - this is a powered on/off LED which shows the status of Wi-Fi on/off. The LED under normal O.S. would stay lit when on and not on when off. Wi-Fi worked great.
        ------------

The card does appear to work fine but no I do not have an internet connection. I have the WLAN Interface open and it says "Type: 802.11, Connection State: Unmanaged, System name: Eth1, Driver ipw2200"

Comment

Yes it seems that even if the LED blinks on and off that the Wireless card is enabled and it's working.

Kubuntu does see the card and enables it when I push the WiFi button.

However it does not see the Wireless router.

Comment

Being "unmanaged" mode leaves promiscuous or ad-hoc. Does the manual state that the blinking light signify one of those two states?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

haha! I just got it to work.

Now I want to explain what I did so maybe there is an explanation.

When I first loaded Kubuntu 10.10 the wireless was not working at all. However I searched the threads and found this one topic where Integr8r said to edit a file called "Interfaces" with some editor called Kate. I did that - I restarted as suggested and still nothign worked.

Well just now I decided I would reverse that - I brought interfaces back to the normal file that it was prior- I reset and Wham. now it found the SSID that I wanted it too and it connected great.

Thanks for your help guys --- now I have to find out what else I can do with thing

Comment

Now I would like to learn how to update my Kubuntu ---

Comment

In a konsole:
                  sudo apt-get update
                  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

GreyGeek,

Thank you again for your response.

It worked out great - I updated everything about 67 updates I believe.

So how about for fun, I am so new to Kubuntu - what would be the first thing I practice, is it the commands? or apps?

Let me know what your opinion is - I would greatly appreciate your input

I guess I am looking to explore it now that it's functional and "online" lol-

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED] INTEL Wi-fi issue.

Well, Joe, that depends on what your interests are.

The first thing I would do would be:
                      sudo apt-get update
                      sudo apt-get install synaptic
                      and use synaptic to do all your application management work.

I'm a retired coder so I have QtCreator, PostgresSQL 8.4, Druid III, Baazar version control, and several other programming related applications installed. (I could make more money coding than I could teaching, even though teaching is more fun!)

I am also taught 8 years at a private college. I taught Calc I, II and III, General and Engineering Physics, Inorganic Chem, Organic Chem, Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chem, Microbiology, Anatomy & Physiology, and several general science classes, but not all at the same time! (I was a professional student while in colllege. Just about everything interests me. And I only took 12 hrs per semester because I worked full time till grad school, then I was awarded a Welch Foundation Scholarship to do anti-cancer metabolism research. I made $2K more per year in grad school than I did in my first teaching position!)

So, I have Stellarium, SAGE, Qalculate!, wxMaxima, Cantor, eXtrema, Kig, Step, Gpredict, Planets, EasyChem, Kalzium, Praat Speech Analyzer and just about anything else related to science that I stumble across. I focus mostly on Physics and Math modeling.

I also have a private pilot license (single engine, land), so I have FlightGear installed.

I also used QCad to create floor plans for my home, with movable furniture parts so when my wife want's to redecorate I can show her what will work and what won't. Saves a lot of back aches. I also have FreeCad installed, but I haven't used it yet. And, I have GIMP to do my graphics manipulation work. I am not a movie maker but I have installed the latest Blender 2.54b, which is a lot easier to use than previous versions. I also have Xara Xtreme and Inkscape for vector graphics work.

I burn audio CDs of our church server weekly so I use K3b a lot. It is the top of its class. I have a digital camera, a Sony 8mm video camera and V20 vdr recorder, the Flip camera and my laptop webcam. I use DigiKam to manage my photographs and videos. I use OpenShot and Kdeliven to create and/or edit videos. I have LIVES installed but I haven't used it yet. I use Audacity to edit audio files and VLC to convert them, stream them or play them. VLC is also an excellent video player, streamer, and converter. To make videos or take pictures using my webcam I use Cheese or guvcview. DeVeDe is an easy to use DVD/CD video creator.

I am not into games much, although I have a few of them installed. I read Sci Fi for amusement. Right now I am into my fourth Robert J Sawyer book, "HYBRIDS". He's an awesome writer.
                      http://sfwriter.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X