X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install kubuntu 10.10

Hi,
    I'm having a problem trying to install kubuntu 10.10 from a live CD (I've checked the md5 checksum and it is ok).
    If I run kubuntu from the CD then two of the three disks are found and the ntfs partitions are mounted and are accesible from the dolphin file manager. The partition manager sees the same disks and their partitions and the unallocated space where I wish to install kubuntu, it also sees the third disk which is a RAID-0 stripe as separate, unformatted disks.
    When I run the installation program (either directly from the CD, or from within the live CD version) it only shows the RAID array as being available for the installation ( it sees it correctly in terms of total size and ntfs partitions) the other two disks are not available.
    I also tried installing from an "alternative" CD. This steps through the installation process, asks if I want it to recognise the RAID array (yes), then has the same result of only showing the RAID array.
    I would appreciate any suggestions as to why the install process and the running live-CD version have a different view of the disks.
    (I also tried to run/install version 10.04 but the boot process hung before getting to the run/install choice screen)
    Thanks,

Thanks for the response (from dibl), but why does the install process show the RAID-0 stripe properly, including the ntfs partition?

config details:
    own built desktop PC
    processor - AMD Opteron 146 2.02GHz
    main board - ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    memory - 2GB DDR
    graphics -NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT

disks:
    RAID-0 NVIDIA controller (2 x SAMSUNG SP250) total of 500GB
    SAMSUNG SP250 also via NVIDIA controller (set as first boot disk in the BIOS)
    SAMSUNG 500GB connected via SiImage controller (seen as SCSI )

LITE-ON DVDRW
    HP CD-Writer

Re: Can't install kubuntu 10.10

If you don't have a Linux driver for that Nvidia RAID controller, you're not going to be able to use it the way you do with Windows (and a Windows driver). With Linux, you have several choices of how to make a RAID array (dmraid, mdraid, expensive hardware from 3ware, etc.), but the proprietary controllers on consumer motherboards don't work.

Comment

Re: Can't install kubuntu 10.10

Originally posted by dibl
      If you don't have a Linux driver for that Nvidia RAID controller, you're not going to be able to use it the way you do with Windows (and a Windows driver). With Linux, you have several choices of how to make a RAID array (dmraid, mdraid, expensive hardware from 3ware, etc.), but the proprietary controllers on consumer motherboards don't work.
      This, again, is an unfortunate situation concerning hardware driver support. The same problem also goes for most Winmodems.

Regards...
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Working...
      X