Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org.0.log problem...xserver wont start...help!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X.Org.0.log problem...xserver wont start...help!!

Okay so...here it goes....i knew that when i was going to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.10 some bugs or stuff would happen. But i still do like to risk XD so....i upgradaded to the latest kernel outthere...i have a kubuntu 10.10 Maverick and with an i86 procesor. My model is Dell vostro 1500 with a Nvida geoforce 8400MS and this is my problem.

I was wondering outhere in the internet...and suddenly the xserver crashed, like it does randomly since i upgraded, i gave it no major importance since i thought it was a bug that kubuntu developer will fix eventually. So it crashed and restarted by itself and everything working again..so cool. ^^

But i noticed that this time the style wasn't QT+STYLE that i had defined in appreance was another, the classic.

So i went out to change it when i found out....(i found out about it when i was installing Wine from the reppositorys and upgrading the ttf font and wine since i added wine to the apt) when i changed it all my xserver just crashed everything dissapeared except my window where i was (the appearence setting) and i thought that i should just restart the computer.

And so i did...when i go to the login i type my password it kinda logs in and the screen flashes and takes me back to the login...

So in one of my attempts to fix it... i thought i give it a try from the login of the console...i logged on through the console and sudo bash and tipped startx -- :1. But nothing..same happens screen flashes and back to console login...

Any help plz!!! would like to fix it as soon as possible.

Cheers Kira. :P

P.D.

Im sorry tottally forgot to say that when it goes back to the login screen it appears saying something about signal error give up and look for /etc/var/log/X.Org.0.log

Re: X.Org.0.log problem...xserver wont start...help!!

Plz somebody help me out!! plz!!! need help!! just tell me if i didnt explain myself right or ask any additional info u might need! thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi

My model is Dell vostro 1500 with a Nvida geoforce 8400MS and this is my problem.

Yes, I believe the GF 8400MS may be your problem. You need to read this entire thread, including the links in it: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114210.0

It appears that there is a problem with the new kernel and the 8xxx series of Nvidia cards. Probably it will be fixed soon, but not today.

Comment

Thanks so much dibl for your answer.....i was wondering if there is a rollback method via console in which i can go back to kubuntu 10.4 if so plz tell me would come great till they fix the driver with 8xxxx series.

In the meanwhile i read from the other post u linked me
        The only way I am able to get the system back up is to go into Recovery Mode at GRUB and delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf. After doing so, the system will then boot up in low graphics
        so im going to try that method to have a temporal fix..and see what happens.

Thanks so much dibl your help is much appreciated.

Cheers Kira

Comment

ok tried that out...but now i have a second porb i deleted xorg.conf.d by mistake now the hole system is unresponsive when i try to move the touchpad or the keyboard...any ideas on how to restore that file?? thanks.

Comment

A check of my (newly installed) Kubuntu 10.10 system indicates I don't have such a directory, under /etc/X11/. I'm not sure what configuration you have arrived at there, with the various maneuvers that you have tried. Maybe the best thing at this point would be:

Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
            that's pretty draconian, and probably will cost you your desktop settings, but it's the only way I can think of the get back to a more-or-less default set of files and directories. :P

Comment

lol...okis thanks for the tip...either way...i just installed LInux MInt 6 and updated to helena version...but after a while same that kubuntu 10.10 happened. The nvidia card wasnt supported...but one thing that surprised me was that after my gui being messed up in Linux MInt same as kubuntu, Linux Mint offered me to change my settings and so i did...and i found out..that although is pretty unstable works fine with the nvidia driver version 173 instead of the 177 version that is current right now...

So i installed kubuntu again want to 10.10 and im like that right now with a 10.10 version and nvidia 173 driver..and is working fine...but gotta say computer runs kinda slow....

Either way is there somehow i can rollback to 10.4 ?? thanks.

Comment

That 173 driver version is ancient -- I'm surprised at the notion that it works at all.

You can't "roll" back a version, from the succeeding version. You can only install the older version. So, if you don't have a 10.04 installation CD, you'll have to make one.

Alternatively, here's a suggestion. Install 10.10 (try doing it with a new "Alternate" CD -- it appears to me they have updated the packages on that CD), and then just leave the nouveau driver installed, for awhile. It does a good job, except for the lack of 3D. You should be able to set up java and flash for your browser and everything else you normally need. Then just keep an eye on this forum and Ubuntu forum, and probably it will be only some days or weeks until the issues with the 8xxx series Nvidia cards are resolved. At that point, you will only have to open System > Additional Drivers and choose the Nvidia driver, and VOILA you will be running the latest Kubuntu system.

Comment

Working...
                X