Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is recommended application directory for downloaded apps?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is recommended application directory for downloaded apps?

Dear All!

I downloaded latest binary release of rawtherapee.org from they website. Now it is stored in /home/almalino/downloads/ directory and I can execute it from there just fine.

However, I do not want applications to stay in /Downloads/ folder. What is the best place to move these binary file to? In Windows it is \Program files\. where should I put it in Linux?

Any help will be appreciated!

Re: What is recommended application directory for downloaded apps?

Most of your user executables are under /usr/bin. Some packaged Linux software likes to be installed under /opt.

Comment

Thank you! I was suspecting that /usr/bin/ is a folder to use. One thing that made me wonder is that there is no subfolders in this folder. Only plain binary files. If you go to \Program Files\ in Windows it full of subfolders for individual applications.

Comment

Originally posted by almalino

If you go to \Program Files\ in Windows it full of subfolders for individual applications.
        A wise man once said "To learn, compare!"

However, the wisdom of that advice runs very thin when the subject is Linux vs. Windows. There's very little that you know about how Windows works that will be of any use for running your Linux system. In particular, downloading software from the 'net and installing it on your Linux system is a whole 'nother world, and not much like Windows. And it is dangerous for the integrity of your Linux system, so be very cautious about doing that. Did you take a look at gimp, for your digital image processing needs?

In general, you should make it a rule to check the standard *buntu repositories, and use packages from there, if at all possible. They are designed to work on your system. It is NOT the case that all you need to know is "executables go in /usr/bin" -- that's far from 100% of the story. Most packages sprinkle files in several places -- icons go one place, needed libraries go another, etc. etc. The wise user lets the packager handle those decisions, and doesn't try to end-run or force the configuration.

Comment

Yeah. Different OS, different rules. The reason I downloaded binaries directly is because package manager contains old stable version of the RAW editor. I needed latest and greatest unstable version because it had support for my new camera. So, I downloaded archive, unziped it to subdirectory and it works just fine! The only problem now for me is where to put this subdirectory. I guess I will move it to /usr/bin/ Thank you for the help!

Comment

The problem is that it will probably break your system when the "old stable version" is updated in the repository and your system is updated.

In my opinion, if you MUST install something from a foreign source, you should keep as much as possible in your home directory or /opt

Comment

I guess in this case I can just delete unstable version. Uninstall stable version. And then just install back stable version. Right?

Comment

I'm thinking there's a RAW plugin for gimp. If so, that would be a far safer package to install on Kubuntu, even though it will pull in plenty of gtk support. If you're doing RAW image processing, you're clearly not sweating disk capacity!

EDIT: http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Originally posted by almalino
                  Dear All!

I downloaded latest binary release of rawtherapee.org from they website. Now it is stored in /home/almalino/downloads/ directory and I can execute it from there just fine.

However, I do not want applications to stay in /Downloads/ folder. What is the best place to move these binary file to? In Windows it is \Program files\. where should I put it in Linux?

Any help will be appreciated!
                  Hi, actually there might be ubuntu packages of the app you've mentioned. I don't know which version you are looking for but the package of rawtherapee 3.0 (alpha) seems to be here:

https://launchpad.net/~rawtherapee/+archive/ppa

If you are on (K)ubuntu 10.04), you can either add the repository to your sources list and download the package from the package manager or via apt-get command, or you can download the package manually from the above page. In any case, package manager will (or should) install your software properly.

But again, it is ALPHA level software, it is probably not very stable.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                  X