X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation problem

Hi there,

I'm trying to install Kubuntu 10.10 x86_64 but installation hangs at ext4 creation step. I'm able to switch to console(ctrl-alt-f1) and extract the dmesg output.

Steps were reproduce using both DVD and CD install, burned from two different burner. Both media passed the check media for defect. During the install step, 3rd party package and download update option were selected, whole hard drive was used.

I attached the dmesg output, which containts:
    [ 271.697946] ------------[ cut here ]------------
    [ 271.697956] kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.35/fs/buffer.c:3346!

Any clue?
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Installation problem

Welcome to KFN. Glad to see a new member.

But, please read the >>> PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING HERE <<< post and then add the 'missing' information that will give us a better chance at finding an answer for you.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here are the missing informations:

Type: desktop
      CPU: CPU0: AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor stepping 03
      GPU: Onboard ATI
      RAM: 4G
      HDs: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0(SATA)
      Optical Drives: ASUS DRW-1612BL(IDE)

Installation was also attempted on another hard drive(WDC, model unkwon) with the same end result.

Running the LiveCD/DVD works just fine.

Comment

Okay. Thank you for the information.

Let's start with the 'basics'. Have you prepared the HDD, i.e., have you created the partitions you want to use for the installation, or are you attempting to let the installer do this?

Most here recommend that the HDD be 'prepared' in advance of the actual install, using a GParted LiveCD to create and format the partitons. Then reboot into the Kubuntu LiveCD and proceed to install.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Getting a 'clean' install of any OS is vital.

personally, I use a brand new Hard Disc.

I favour Hitachi Deskstar, but any make may well be OK.

I take my computing very seriously, so don't waste my time on used Hard Discs or coping with dual booting disasters.

Tim

Comment

Here is my follow-up on this story:

GPart trick has been tried without success. Maybe you could clarify to me the justification of GPart specially if one want to use the whole hard disk(sda1 / and sda5 as swap as suggested by the installer).

So I successfully installed Ubuntu 10.04, Kubuntu 10.04.1 and Ubuntu 9.04. Both x86_64 and i386 version were used. Any attempt to install either Ubuntu or Kubuntu 10.10 failed with detailed kernel message attached earlier. Note that I only tried the x86_64 version.

So I decided to install Kubuntu 10.04.01, apply all updates and then do an update to version 10.10. After applying updated to 10.04.01, I rebooted the computer since there was a Kernel update. It did failed miserably.

The only thing I can point out is that the kernel used for 10.10 as well as the one pushed via update to 10.04 makes my system failed to boot.

All install attempt were performed using the whole hard drive as installation using recommended partitioning(if I recall correctly, the installer option is call "use whole hard drive"). Hard disk is brand new. One attempt has been perform using existing partitioning(pre-configured using gpart).

Comment

Working...
            X