This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OS Corruption:- Help -- Fixed !

I've been using 64 bit Hardy Heron and suddenly when browsing with Firefox or Konqueror certain characters and numbers are missing !

Mostly upper C E M and a few other and some numbers !

Its as tho the html input to the PC has been edited !

I'm utterly lost here as what to do next.

My hard drives are cradled so I can switch to (wash my mouth out with soap) W7, which is aok so its not a hardware fault as far as I can tell .

Any ideas ? Anyone ?

A desperate,

Tim

Re: OS Corruption:- Help

Are the 'missing' letters/numbers consistant - always the same? Do you observe this on any/all webpages, or just 'certain' ones? That might suggest a font or encoding problem.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Many thanks for response !

Missing letters and numbers are consistent and most but not all sites are affected.

My last cloned drive does not have this problem as of 14th July this year. (nor all the data since then. Gulp ! )

Tim

Comment

What character encoding are you using? Could it have been inadvertently changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
          What character encoding are you using? Could it have been inadvertently changed?
          I don't know how to find that out, Any tips very very very welcome.

Tim

Comment

In FF, click on Edit->Preferences. Then go to Content -> Fonts and Colours and proceed to Advanced. Once there you will see Character Encoding at the bottom. It should probably be set to UTF-8 nowadays.

I don't know about the Konq and I'm probably using a different version from you anyway. For me it just has a cryptic "Default encoding: Use Language Encoding" - whatever that means.

Comment

Changed it to Arial but no difference.

I think the problem is not in the brpiser but the OS

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim036
                Changed it to Arial but no difference.
                I think you misunderstood. Arial is a font! What you are looking for here is character encoding. Go to the same place and click on "Advanced", then look at the bottom for "Character Encoding". Change it to UTF-8. However, perhaps you are right that it is not in the browser but since you mentioned that it was when you were browsing, that just seems like the most likely place. Does the problem show up in Open Office or Kate?

Comment

Not in OpenOffice or Kate.

UTF-8 is not offered in Advanced. I'll double check that. Its on old version of Firefox as the latest version was not well behaved for the websites I use a lot.

Tim

update in the title C and H are missing and cutting and pasting it into Kate produces this:-

« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:32:08 am » Reply with quote Modify message
                  Not in OpenOffice or Kate.

UTF-8 is not offered in Advanced. I'll double check that. Its on old version of Firefox as the latest version was not well behaved for the websites I use a lot.

Sad

Tim

end of paste

So maybe a screen driver ?

Comment

Fixed ! I think !

preferences

Contents

Fonts advanced offers the chance for it to choose it own fonts.

It had a tick so I un-ticked it !

And all seems to be well !

Many many thanks !

Brilliant help !

Tim

Comment

Working...
                    X