This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatically Allowing Desktop Sharing

When I try to connect to Kubuntu from Windows with TightVNC, it always asks me to allow or cancel the connection on the linux box. I've configured it with the few settings available to NOT do that.

Other members have had the same problem to no avail. See the following threads for details:
    desktop sharing comes up at every logon. How to stop?
    Invitation - Desktop Sharing" pops up unnecessarily

Another problem - one that doesn't seem to warrant its own thread and is related - is that I can't seem to type in "_" (underscores) when using VNC from the windows machine. Any ideas?

Linux Box
    Desktop
    Kubuntu 10.04
    KDE 4.4.2
    Pentium IV 32bit
    ATI (the rest unknown at the moment)
    1.5gb ram
    1x Internal HDD
    1x Internal CDRW

Windows PC
    Desktop
    Windows 7
    Pentium Dual Core 2.7ghz 64 bit
    NVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    6.0gb ram
    1x Internal HDD
    1x Internal CDRW/DVDRW

Re: Automatically Allowing Desktop Sharing

Anyone have any ideas? This is pretty much the last piece to what has seemed to be a never ending puzzle.

Comment

I can't reproduce nthis, but I have not yet tried to connect from a windows box - I'd have to go to work to try that ---eew . It is working as expected using krdc to connect for me. no questions asked.

Comment

I'll try connecting from different versions of windows but I really don't expect that to be the issue. I'm using the VNC program that comes with Kubuntu . . . should I maybe try installing a third party version?

Comment

I am as well - KRFB is the desktop sharing vnc-type server, and I am connecting to it from another Kubuntu machine via KRDC - kde's vnc/rdp viewer. I have some sort of vncviewer on the windows box at work, but I have not tried connecting to my Kubuntu box at home from there, so i am nnot sure if the problem could be related to the viewer used. For me the kubuntu tools are working fine with each other, no user intervention needed for me to view/control the other desktop.

there are a number of remote desktop servers to use, but nome are as simple as KRFB

Gobs of info can be found on these pages

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC
          http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid#Remote_Access

When I was running Lucid I did run x11vnc on one desktop, the ubuntuguide page linked above has a general setup guide for that

imo it is the second-easiest one to set up, but for me it was not quite 100% reliable but worked for its purpose. But it never asked for authorization to connect

Comment

I'll try installing that one but just so everyone is on the same page . . . here is a screen shot of the current settings:

[img width=400 height=228]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32/Styles2304/snapshot1.png[/img]

And to confirm, it DOES ask for confirmation every single time I try to connect.

Comment

Working...
            X