This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding new programs to menu

I have Kapfinder and Kmenuedit on my system, both good apps, but not very usefull.
    Problem is when I install apps, it won't show by itself in the menu. Some apps could be found by Kappfinder, but usually not. Kmenuedit is great to add apps, but its hard to find the correct icon for the app. I often use "Run Command" from the menu to start my programs, and once I typed that command, the nicest icons for the app appears. So it seems that KDE does "know" the program, so how can I quickly add that entry to my menu with the icon?

Example: Kappfinder itself is not in the menu, neither does it find itself!
    If you know where to find the app (I hate the searches) its easy to add it with Kmenuedit, (which also is not in my menu!!! )

Re: Adding new programs to menu

You can right-click the "K" icon and launch the K Menu editor from there.

Comment

1. Where to find the apps you installed: (almost) all apps are in /usr/bin. Also sometimes you don't even have to include the path (/usr/bin/), just the name of the program.

2. Icons for the apps: unless you installed from source, the icons for the apps you installed are automatically added. When you are manually adding a menu entry in KMenuEdit, just click on the box for the icon, make sure it's set to "Applications", then type in the name of the program.

3. What to do when apps don't automatically get added to the K Menu: Usually, apps are automatically added, but sometimes they're not. This tip comes from aysiu:
      To refresh/rebuild your K Menu without restarting your KDE session, press Alt+F2, and enter
      Code:
      kbuildsycoca --noincremental
      My tip, create a K Menu entry for that, so everytime an app doesn't automatically get added, you can just launch that command from K Menu

I do admit that it's quite annoying, though. I haven't seen any app not being automatically added to the menus in Ubuntu.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thanx. Point 1 & 2 is what I am used to do. I tried point 3, but it did not make any changes.

As a note, I only use Synaptic as package manager. Could this be the reason some apps won't get added?

Comment

Working...
        X