This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video and sound problems with extra users

Got a real PIA problem with video and sound. When I play games with my username all things video and sound works perfect. When I change to my kid's and spouse's names, the video is pathetic and the sound dissapear.

When I tried to change to administrator mode, I had to log out and in with my account to edit the other user's settings. Its currently only a nuisance not being able to go straight into admin mode from other user's desktop, but wouls still like a fix for it.

The real problem is that I was able to get sound back for other user's, but only by editing their accounts one by one. But the video is still not working. How can I change all users accounts in one go. I tried to create a group, but that don't do it either. I certainly mind the fact of adding new menu items for new app I install...

Re: Video and sound problems with extra users

SystemSettings>Users & Groups>Administrator Mode>Groups>Show System Groups>Modify. Add users "wife" and "kids" to audio and video groups.

Out of the box, the only user on (K)Ubuntu who has admistrative privileges is the first user created. However, from that user's login, you can add users to the admin group. This is a security hole, though, but it's your computer.

Comment

Thanx, but that's what I had. Maybe some other suggestion?

BTW. For those whom it my concern. I changed my username under >Users and groups> by only froma small to a capital. Booting in up always gave an error complaining "unable to verify username" or something similiar. Changing back to a small letter, solved it! Don'r know if its a bug, but if nyone wants the logfile the error refers to, tell me where to get is and I'll send it.
      Regards

Comment

Not a bug. Case of letters is significant in all varietites of Unix.

Comment

Yeah I know about the letter's case. But remember I did change it. Why would it still want the "old" case?

Comment

That's a tough one to answer. The short and useless answer is that the "users and groups" thing did not change your username everywhere. The long and unknown answer is where didn't it change the name? To quote Mark Twain, "I was pleased to answer promptly. I said I didn't know."

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
              To quote Mark Twain, "I was pleased to answer promptly. I said I didn't know."
              Excellent! I had a good laugh at that one! As for the username, I don't bother anymore, my problem is fixed. 8)

Comment

Working...
              X