This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing stuff...going nuts here

i don't fully understand the concepts of installing various things and package managers. So kubuntu has a software center and i take it, that it does not have everything and that there are other repositories like apt get...etc can i install all repository managers?

How do update to the latest Nvidia drivers, Creative audio drivers...etc? i can't seem to find them. How about Klite codec packs?

then theres the sudo apt get commands....how the heck do you guys learn all the command variables to install stuff? I'm so used to going to web sites, downloading an application and clicking install from windows that i can't fully grasp how and why there are so many ways to install stuff in Linux...some of which i cannot find. This has become one of my largest frustrations using Linux, that and all the wierd terminologies, acronyms for apps...etc. drives me INSANE!!!

....And where the heck can i browse and apply dynamic wallpaper? I read that KDE supports dynamic wallpaper but how do i find and use it?

Re: Installing stuff...going nuts here

Originally posted by f1refly
    How do update to the latest Nvidia drivers, Creative audio drivers...etc? i can't seem to find them.
    Hi...

I won't be able to answer all your questions but I can hopefully answer the one above.

In terms of a package manager, there are some better than others in terms of quality and look and feel, I personally prefer Synaptic and it can be downloaded and installed in Kubuntu as well.

Perhaps the easiest way to upgrade your Nvidia drivers if you're working with a fresh install and haven't done so yet, is to click on the "K" start button, click on "Applications," then "System," and then "Hardware Drivers." This option allows you to download the proprietary drivers for your chipset.

As far as your Creative sound card (or chipset,) all linux distributions that I know of have wide ranging support for Creative's products (by way of the ALSA drivers) and should work "out of the box." Does yours not?

Hope this helps.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

One thing that might help you to understand is that apt-get is a command-line program that interfaces with your repositories the same way that Synaptic or KPackageKit does.

Your list of repositories can be edited through your package manager (synaptic or kpackagekit) through the "edit software sources" option.

I admit, this method of installing new software in Linux takes some time to get used to it but think of the benefits: instead of getting demos like you often would in Windows, you get the full open-source application in Linux. And this system really is easy. Don't worry about the command-line apt-get interface until you understand how to use the graphical interface of Synaptic or KPackageKit.

As for your question about installing Klite codec packs, I'm not aware of a way to run them in Linux unless you use WINE. If you want to do that, research it here. OTHERWISE, install VLC as your video playback program (find it in your package manager) and install the Medibuntu package (easy instructions for doing so are here)

Give it a shot and be patient while you learn a new OS. Hope this helps.
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Follow these steps:
        1) Open a Konsole
        2) sudo apt-get update
        3) sudo apt-get install synaptic
        4) close Konsole
        5) Open synaptic: Kgear --> System --> Synaptic

6) With synaptic open click on Settings --> Repositories
        7) Check all the boxes on the "Ubuntu software" tab
        8 ) Check all the boxes onn the "Update" tab
        9) Click the "Close" button
        10) On the Synaptic main dialog lick the "Reload" toolbar icon.
        11) after the reload is finished put part of the name of an application that you want to install in the text box. In the list of possible applications find the package you were looking for. Right mouse on the little box in front of the name of the application and choose "Mark for Installation".
        12) After you've marked all the applications you want to install then click the green "Apply" arrow to install them. In the confirmation dialog that appears check to see that what will be installed is what you want to install. Some applications will require "dependency" apps, and they will be listed too. Click OK on the confirmation dialog and your apps will be installed.
        13) Close Synaptic
        14) Your app's execution icon will be in the appropriation place in the menu structure.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thanx so much

Comment

nice, greygeek.
            Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

Hi rfakhrai...

Just to let you know, your avatar comes up blank with a red "x" in the upper left hand corner.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

His "Freddy Prinze Jr" avatar shows fine for me. Must be your browser...
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I just changed it! He's my idol. tehehehe

Comment

Just don't idolize his last performance!

Comment

Working...
                    X