This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update grub?(Solved)

Hi i have the grub version that comes out with kubuntu 9.04....and since i updated to 10.4 i would like to update the grub also...what is the command to do so...should i update it? Thanks

Cheers Kira.

P.D.

I saw that there is a gtk engine on kubuntu for changing the styles...if i use it..will it change only on gnome..? or also in kde?? thanks..

Re: Update grub?

sudo apt-get install grub-pc

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi
      Hi i have the grub version that comes out with kubuntu 9.04....and since i updated to 10.4 i would like to update the grub also...what is the command to do so...should i update it? Thanks

To update grub:

Code:
      sudo update-grub
      Boot Info Script

Comment

to update the grub version from 0.97=legacy to 1.98 then like @GilGib

to update the curent grub menu then like @verndog

I still use the 0.97 ver on 10.04 as I know it better

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thats true vinny i 2 know it better...the grub legacy that the new one..but i suppose its just get learn how to use it..again..even though is a pain in the ***...XD

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi
            Thats true vinny i 2 know it better...the grub legacy that the new one..but i suppose its just get learn how to use it..again..even though is a pain in the ***...XD
            Opps! Family Forum!

(Even if you are being polite about grub2. Grub WAS so easy to use. I still don't understand the thinking behind switching to such an awkward boot method.)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Grub WAS so easy to use.
              still IS hear

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Re: Update grub?(Solved)

Once Grub 2 is installed, learning how to 'customize' it is not all that difficult. Different that Grub Legacy? Oh, yes. But it really isn't very difficult to master.

GNU GRUB Manual 1.98
                Grub 2 Basics
                Grub2 - Community Ubuntu Documentation
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just because we're told to do something in a particular way, we don't have to follow that path. Grub2 is very easy for me - I edit grub.cfg file directly(yes, I ignore the warning), without any script kiddy reference. I allow update-grub to finish its update of grub.cfg and then immediately use my own grub.cfg file.

when I install a new ISO, the first thing is to replace grub.cfg with my own.
                  Its so simple for me. I've been doing it this way since early on in grub2 existence, without any problems.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
                    Just because we're told to do something in a particular way, we don't have to follow that path. Grub2 is very easy for me - I edit grub.cfg file directly(yes, I ignore the warning), without any script kiddy reference. I allow update-grub to finish its update of grub.cfg and then immediately use my own grub.cfg file.

when I install a new ISO, the first thing is to replace grub.cfg with my own.
                    Its so simple for me. I've been doing it this way since early on in grub2 existence, without any problems.
                    ya 1 of my test boxes has it.........lets see ...........ya Kubuntu 9somthing with grub2 and 2 other linux's but I never got to messing with the new grub2.

and to be honest I didn't half to ...the kubuntu and grub2 went in first then added 1 other linux on a separate HD without a boot loader then booted to kubuntu and ran update-grub and it found and added the new linux ......added the next one on a nother HD and repeated the process .......no editing of a grub file required.

well except the 1 linux expects the boot to be hdx not sdx but a quick edit from the grub screen gets by that so I never botherd to change it

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
                      Just because we're told to do something in a particular way, we don't have to follow that path....
                      True, but the more you deviate from the standard path the more you take upon yourself the support of your non-standard configuration. Most newbies can't do that.

Editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg is NOT recommended and is the easiest way to blow up your boot process. That is why one is supposed to edit /etc/default/grub.cfg instead. The problem is, however, that one must look at /boot/grub/grub.cfg and count the lines beginning with "menu entry", using the base index of 0, to find the "position" count of the kernel they want to boot automatically if the user doesn't select another entry during boot up. Or, one must during boot up count the line on the grub menu that the desired kernel resides on, starting with zero, and then edit /etc/default/grub.cfg and set GRUB_DEFAULT=(whatever the count is), save the file, and then run "update-grub" in a konsole.

THAT is awkward, to say the least. The old grub was a lot easier. All one had to do was edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and move the blocks into any order one wished and save it.

One thing I don't understand is WHY there isn't a Grub boot menu editing option in System Settings, the way there used to be.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

One thing I don't understand is WHY there isn't a Grub boot menu editing option in System Settings, the way there used to be.
                        Are you game to dust off your programming skills and write one for us?
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm seriously considering it.

My grandson's laptop had a Windows partition, the same one I used for 5 years to develop and support the ag tractor fly-by-wire system that I wrote for it. I squeezed it down to leave 5GB of free space and gave 30GB to Kubuntu. He was using Kubuntu to play online games. One of the games he played required flashplayer 9.0 but Kubuntu had 10.1 so for that URL he switched to XP. Over the course of the last year and a half the Windows partition slowly filled up with Microsoft KB patches and with Spybot quarantine files, and stuff that snuck through AGV. He complained Friday that it took 30 minutes for XP to boot up and five minutes to open firefox, which would then crash with lots of strange messages. Kubuntu, he said, worked fine. Yesterday I decided to upgrade it to Maverick.

I booted into XP and he was right. it took all of 30 minutes just to be able to run Windows explorer. Using the properties of the C:\ drive I learned that he had only 90 Mb HD free space remaining. I decided to use the XP recovery section and reinstall XP, which went OK and gave 6GB of free space again, but after hours for all the KB stuff and the XP SP3 installation there was only 3.2GB left.

The Grub menu was over written so I booted the Maverick LiveCD,
                          sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt <--- mounted existing Linux partition
                          sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc <--- bind livecd proc & sys directories to replace hd linux dirs
                          sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
                          and
                          sudo chroot /mnt <---- switching to hd Linux partition as "working" Linux
                          then
                          update-grub <-- on the hd
                          which restored the grub with both XP and Maverick lines.
                          then
                          Ctrl+D to get out of chroot
                          sudo umount /mnt/proc
                          sudo umount /mnt/sys
                          sudo umount /mnt
                          and rebooted.

He's got a running system again.

Comment

Editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg is NOT recommended and is the easiest way to blow up your boot process.
                            Not only is it not easy, it's not even possible.

Ahoy, by grub.cfg...KISS...
                            Code:
                            	default=0
                            	gfxmode=640x480
                            	insmod gfxterm
                            	insmod vbe
                            	timeout=11
                            	menu_color_normal=white/blue
                            	menu_color_highlight=light-cyan/cyan

menuentry "Windows 7" {
                            	insmod ntfs
                            	set root='(hd0,1)'
                            	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set d8c0ef8fc0ef7264
                            	chainloader +1
                            }
                            menuentry 'KUB' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
                            	insmod ext2
                            	set root='(hd0,6)'
                            	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set debfdd2e-50ec-4933-b709-88f708449e5e
                            	linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=debfdd2e-50ec-4933-b709-88f708449e5e ro quiet splash
                            	initrd	/initrd.img
                            }
                            Even if a computer glitch were to happen, I'm just a chroot, and grub-install away from recovery.
                            Boot Info Script

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
                              # The main menu file, /boot/grub/grub.cfg, is not meant to be edited, even by 'root'.
                              # grub.cfg is overwritten anytime there is a update, a kernel is added/removed, or the user runs update-grub
                              # The list of accessible Linux kernels is automatically generated from the directory of files in /boot. It is not created by editing a list such as the one in the old menu.lst. Running update-grub updates the list.
                              # The user can use a custom file, /etc/grub.d/40_custom, in which the user can place his own entries. This file will not be overwritten.
                              # The primary configuration file for changing menu display settings is /etc/default/grub.

Comment

Working...
                              X