Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a USENET Newsreader that handles SSL?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a USENET Newsreader that handles SSL?

Can anybody recommend a good newsreader that will handle secure connections over port 563?

I subscribe to thundernews, and use NewsRover under Windows.

So far all I've found for Ubuntu is Pan, but I can't get it to connect to the SSL connection, just the regular one.

Thanks!

http://www.newsrover.com/index.htm

Re: Recommend a USENET Newsreader that handles SSL?

my newsreader does ssl.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3109394.0
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

Believe it or not, Thunderbird has an excellent newsgroup reader.

I stopped using it because I couldn't find a newsgroup worth reading. Too many people using wheelbarrows...
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I never found anything that works as well as Newsrover
        Nevertheless I got it to work under wine

I never got any of the alternatives to work under Kubuntu yet.
        "forgiveness is a gift to yourself"

Comment

Originally posted by smile4yourself
          I never got any of the alternatives to work under Kubuntu yet.
          you mean with ssl? or work period?

In the past I have used outlook express, agent, xnews, newsbinpro, newsleecher on windows. Linux has many cable text readers, but not many binary capable. Pan couldn't handle large binary groups. I used Klibido for several years and was pretty happy with it, but the database corruptions got really annoying. Are you looking for text and binary both, or just binary?

Originally posted by smile4yourself
          I never found anything that works as well as Newsrover
          Could you elaborate on this for me? What other newsreaders have you run and what does newsrover do that sets it apart? what important features do you feel I am missing? Thanks for any input.
          http://www.gitorious.org/qbinnews/pages/Home

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Believe it or not, Thunderbird has an excellent newsgroup reader.

I stopped using it because I couldn't find a newsgroup worth reading. Too many people using wheelbarrows...
            I usually agree with Mr. Geek - but I think Thunderbird is a terrible newsreader

pan didn't meet my needs real well either - for text newsgroups these days I use claws-mail and have been happy with it. It also supports SSL.
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks for the input all!

tanderson - I'll have to give your program a glance.

Running Newsrover under WINE would be great, but I've yet to get ANYTHING to work under WINE. If there is a FAQ out there somewhere to set up programs, I would appreciate it.

I mostly use newsgroups to raid the binary newsgroups, especially the music groups.

I know another solution is to just run Newsrover in a VM enviroment, but I'd like to try and do this natively under Linux if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
                I mostly use newsgroups to raid the binary newsgroups, especially the music groups.
                If you're leeching music maybe pan is all you need.
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

tanderson - I'll have to give your program a glance.
                  I wasn't trying to talk you into anything, I was just curious what about newsrover was so good. Mine is strictly for binary downloading. If you decide to give it a shot, post back as it is not an easy install. Takes me about 10 minutes to install from source.

but I've yet to get ANYTHING to work under WINE.
                  I tried somethings with wine my first year on linux and never had much success either. It would be hard to convince me that the best solution to any problem is a windows program under wine. IMHO

Comment

Pan is great for downloading mp3s from newsgroups...i use it all the time...it's my favorite Linux newsreader...it is also not bad for reading text either...So if you mostly read text and download music, Pan should be fine

Comment

I believe that Emacs Gnus can handle all you need, it is in Kubuntu repository, the last version package is emacs23, but it takes some time to learn how to use it, so it is not for everybody.
                      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Scotty: I am running Newsrover 15.0 rev 1 distributed by Thundernews over wine 1.1.42

I works faster under kubuntu than it did under XP on the same hardware. I don't use SSL but would think it too would work.

Comment

smile - would you mind telling me exactly how you got it to work? I've yet to get anything to work under WINE, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Comment

I guess I was lucky. What you need to do is load wine using KPackageKit that comes with kubuntu Lucid.

Then I downloaded the windows version of NewsRover from Thundernews. (you need to log in to do this, so you need an account there)

I then moved this installation file into the home directory where wine thinks windows is installed.
                            (Look in wine: configure wine from the KDE menu). a windows-looking window appears with multiple tabs. Go to the Applications tab.

click the "add application button"

then search for your exe file of the Thundernews install file. Click it so that it runs. It will look like you are installing it in windows.

Once installed, you can run it by navigating to the wine application menu, and clicking on NewsRover.

You'll need to add your username and password for Thundernews.

good luck.

Comment

Success!

I was able to get Newsrover to run using WINE version 1.2.1. I even have support for SSL!

Comment

Working...
                              X