X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Folder view not showing preview of sub-folders anymore

Hi there

Have downloaded a couple of big updates over last few days

Just noticed folder view not working..used to hover over icon and it would pop up a new view containing sub folders and hovering over one of them would repeat with another pop up

But this doesn't happen anymore

Is this a known bug?

Cheers

Raaj
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Viva Kubuntu!!
    Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
    KDE 4.7.1

Re: Folder view not showing preview of sub-folders anymore

Yes, that was a nice feature. Guess it didn't rate high enough to keep. Oh well.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Because some people found the auto-popups of folder view folders annoying, they were initially replaced by the popup button (the "up arrow" below the "+" that adds items to selection when hovering over an icon).

Then (other) people complained about the button...and they changed it again. Currently the first-level popup needs to be activated by pressing the "up arrow" button, and subsequent popups open up automatically.

Comment

That would be nice if the arrow button you describe existed - it does not; just the + sign. At least that is the case on my KDE 4.5.1 KK 10.04 OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          That would be nice if the arrow button you describe existed - it does not; just the + sign. At least that is the case on my KDE 4.5.1 KK 10.04 OS.
          Are you using an outdated plasma theme?

The up-arrow graphics is loaded from your desktop theme's /widgets/action-overlays.svg(z) file.

Comment

Okay, that's interesting.

The Desktop Theme I'm using is Oxzone. So, I switched to Oxygen (a provided 'standard') and it also didn't have the arrow button. Switching to Air however, does have the arrow button. Interesting.

Comment

The Desktop Theme I'm using is Oxzone. So, I switched to Oxygen (a provided 'standard') and it also didn't have the arrow button. Switching to Air however, does have the arrow button. Interesting.
              Air is the default ("standard") for 4.5.

To see the arrow in older themes, either copy the action-overlays.svg file to the theme you are using or remove the file from your chosen theme altogether (in which case the default Air theme's file should be used automatically). The problem exist when your theme has the file, but it is outdated (it doesn't have the arrow icon, only plus/minus icons)

Comment

Well, really interesting. Air, as a Desktop Theme, doesn't appear to exist - at least, a CLI search using locate air only finds a KDM Theme - oxygen-air - and a search using locate Air finds no Theme matches at all. Yet, Air as a Desktop Theme is installed - I can choose and apply it.

Comment

Yeah, I figured it out. Air is what it's named, but it installs as 'default'. action-overlays.svgz did not exist in the oxygen and oxyzone themes widget directories, so I copied the action-overlays.svgz file into each of them. Works now.

Comment

Yeah, I figured it out. Air is what it's named, but it installs as 'default'.
                    Sorry, i should have mentioned that.

action-overlays.svgz did not exist in the oxygen and oxyzone themes widget directories, so I copied the action-overlays.svgz file into each of them. Works now.
                    Hmm. How did you get the plus button to show in the other themes if oxygen/oxyzone didn't have the file at all (all the button graphics are in the same svg)?

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                      Hmm. How did you get the plus button to show in the other themes if oxygen/oxyzone didn't have the file at all (all the button graphics are in the same svg)?
                      Can't answer that, but the + button was there, just not the arrow. I only copied the action-overlays.svgz from defaults widget directory to the others. My Oxyzone Theme had the file, but it didn't have the arrow. After I copied the same from from defaults widget directory, it worked.

Comment

Can't answer that, but the + button was there, just not the arrow. I only copied the action-overlays.svgz from defaults widget directory to the others. Go figure.
                        That's the magical world of computers, then

I checked my machine and the oxygen theme did have the actions-overlay file in it, but it only included the plus/minus buttons (but it's entirely possible I put the file in there myself at some point)

Comment

Then (other) people complained about the button...and they changed it again. Currently the first-level popup needs to be activated by pressing the "up arrow" button, and subsequent popups open up automatically.

That's quite a neat feature but I still prefer the original way of doing it. I found it much quicker to navigate and it felt more polished and professional

Regards .....
                          Kubuntu User #9802
                          Linux Registered User #357086

Comment

Originally posted by bitzbox
                            That's quite a neat feature but I still prefer the original way of doing it. I found it much quicker to navigate and it felt more polished and professional
                            The problem with the original approach was (to my knowledge) that if you had a large folder view (or multiple views) on your desktop, you'd get a lot of accidental popups by just moving your mouse around.

I think the current operation (first popup requires action) is a good compromise between hover and button approaches, although this is probably one of those things that would benefit from configurability as not all use cases are the same.

Comment

Thanks guys for the copy / paste action-overlays.svgz file idea.

That solved the last (at least for now) small problems.

Greets
                              Fintan
                              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X