This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't change selection in GRUB boot list

I just finished installing Kubuntu 10.04. I'd used Kubuntu way back at 6.06, but with a couple of new computers in between, feel like a newie.

My system's primary OS is Win XP, which is installed on a 160 GB HD. I have a second 300 GB HD on which I've installed Kubuntu 10.06. The installation seemed to work fine - so far. The only problem is, when I boot, I get the GRUB boot list with Kubuntu as the default selection, but I can't change the selection to boot into Windows. It's like the keyboard cursor keys are dead...no way to move the selection up or down, and the timer runs too fast to let me read the screen to see if I'm supposed to do something other than cursor keys to change the selection.

So, I have two questions...

(1) how do I select my Windows OS from the GRUB boot list during boot?

(2) where is the GRUB config file that I used to be able to edit in a text editor, to change the default selection, and also the length of time before booting to the default? I looked in /boot/GRUB and didn't find anything right off that looked like the right file. I need to default to Windows for my wife's benefit.

Thanks!
    Optiker
    Optiker<br /><br />Alienware Area 51<br />P4 3.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM<br />NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800, 256 MB<br />Windows XP Home

Re: Can't change selection in GRUB boot list

USB keyboard? You have to be able to have USB support enabled in your bios...

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes...USB keyboard. It works for Windows. I'll try enabling it in BIOS, but will be back if I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks!
      Optiker
      Optiker<br /><br />Alienware Area 51<br />P4 3.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM<br />NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800, 256 MB<br />Windows XP Home

Comment

Switched to non-USB keyboard, no change. Checked BIOS and see no reference to USB at all.

Other suggestions?

Thanks!
        Optiker

Comment

How about question #2 - where do I edit the boot list default selection so as to default to Windows? At least then I won't be shutdown and can work the problem to figure out how to be able to select during boot.

Thanks!
          Optiker

Comment

The "correct" way is to edit /etc/default/grub and change the line at the top:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0

the edit command in a terminal is:

kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub

and then run sudo update-grub.

The direct way is to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg using kdsuso kate like above and look for the line

set default="0"

In either case, change the 0 to whatever number windows is in your list - usually 4 or 6.

The difference in the two methods is; using the second option, the next time you run update-grub your edit will disappear.

Back to your issue: Does the keyboard would at all? If you hit any key the timer should pause so I assume you're getting no response from either keyboard. I've never heard of a PS/2 connected keyboard not working so I'm out of suggestions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Grub 2 takes some getting used to, but really, it isn't that difficult. A very good guide on Grub 2 is:
              The Grub 2 Guide (formerly Grub 2 Basics) over on Ubuntuforums.org.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

oshunluvr - OK, got the default changed to Windows, so now I can't get into Kubuntu. As for the keyboard, it works fine in Windows. It doesn't work at all during the GRUB boot - ie, no cursor keys, no esc, no other keys...none do anything. This is true with both a USB and a PS/2 keyboard.

Snowhog - thanks for the link. I'll take a look and probably bookmark for future reference.

Thanks!
                Optiker

Comment

All...problem solved. Assistance from folks at answers.launchpad.net suggested that I check BIOS setting for "USB Keyboard Support Via". It was set to OS and I changed it to BIOS. It worked fine.

Thank y'all for your replies.
                  Optiker

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Great - way to stick to it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X