This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu is now ubuntu? [Solved]

last time i logged in on my computer, i installed gdesklets, a programme that was supposed to allow me to monitor my network usage. i logged back in today, and there was an error message about one of the dependencies that it was using, so i deleted the dependency.
    however, my computer now thinks that it is ubuntu. it looks like it, and the command
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    now tells me that i am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, though i have only ever installed Kubuntu 10.04.
    both the log-in and log-off screens are the Kubuntu 10.04 versions
    reverting back to old kernals does not start up kubuntu
    what have i done, and how do i get back to Kubuntu?
    i have since uninstalled gdesklets but this has not solved the problem

Note: all my programmes are kubuntu programmes, such as kate, konsole, dolphin etc

HOW TO FIX:
    the issue was that the desktop session had changed to GNOME
    you have to log out and change the session type to a KDE session
    HP DV6 3030TX (laptop)<br /> - Core i5 540m<br /> - 4 GB RAM<br /> - 1 GB 5650m<br /><br />Dual Booting Win7 HP and Kubuntu 10.10

Re: Kubuntu is now ubuntu?

There was some discussion about that a little while ago. That identifier is correct. I am running Kubuntu 8.04 and it also says Ubuntu. The fact is that it is all Ubuntu whether it has one WM or the other, or even none. It took me a while to get my head around that. It would perhaps be a nice gesture if they would change it, but it doesn't really matter.

Comment

its still kubuntu, but the screen itself is ubuntu
      HP DV6 3030TX (laptop)<br /> - Core i5 540m<br /> - 4 GB RAM<br /> - 1 GB 5650m<br /><br />Dual Booting Win7 HP and Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

There's an Ubuntu inside every K/X/L ubuntu
        (or/and There's a Debian inside every Ubuntu)

> Topic: Browser identification of Kubuntu

The "lsb_release" command is reading the information from the /etc/lsb-release. Tampering with it (it is a text file), so now:

:~$ lsb_release -a
        No LSB modules are available.
        Distributor ID: Kubuntu
        Description: Kubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
        Release: 10.04
        Codename: lucid

Debian:
        :~$ cat /etc/debian_version
        squeeze/sid

More > FAQ: Version info
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

yeah, but my desktop and windows are looking like theyre in a ubuntu environment
          how do i make it look like a kubuntu environment? there isnt an option in the display settings anywhere that i can find

EDIT:
          as in, im using GNOME now, but i want to use KDE. how to i change back?

Comment

There should be options to choose the session type.

[img width=400 height=271]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8413/session.png[/img]

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

On the page where you sign in - where you give your username and password - there should be an option to choose "Session" - choose KDE and Not Gnome.
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

yes, i just found it, thankyou

Comment

Working...
                X