This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netbook top panel disappears

I'm running 10.04 netbook remix, and the top panel (you know, with the application switcher and everything) simply disappears whenever I move to another window. It's not auto-hiding (it doesn't reappear when I mouse to the top of the screen, and auto-hide is also turned off), it just doesn't show up. All my windows are still maximized, so I can't resize them, and I have to alt-tab or alt-F4 to get out of a window.

Any idea how I can make this stop? The panel is there whenever I look at the Launcher, and if I sleep my computer and then wake it while a program is on-screen, I see the panel until I switch windows, at which point it disappears again.

Should I just wait and do a clean install of 10.10?

Re: Netbook top panel disappears

I don't use the application switcher desktop but what happens when you right click on the desktop, click "Desktop Settings" and click on the second icon, the Cashew "Activities" icon and select the App Switcher option again?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Same problem. I tried switching it from "Search and Launch" to "Desktop," and the top panel still vanishes when I leave; also, when I tried to change it back, I ended up with an entirely new Launcher activity that has the same problem, and I can't figure out how to delete the two unused activities.

Comment

The "top panel" in Desktop? I run the Desktop option and there is no "top panel", only the panel at the bottom of the screen. Can you capture a screen shot of what you have and post it here?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I am attaching an image. Please forgive my deplorable GIMP skills.
          Attached Files

Comment

Normally, the Switcher desktop does not have a panel, at least when I experimented with it a few months ago, before deciding that I didn't like it, it didn't. That may be why it disappears when you switch away. In the Switcher there are group icons on the bottom half of the screen, and when you active an application from one of the groups it's icon appears in the top half of the screen.

The Desktop desktop usually has the panel at the bottom, but it can be dragged to any boarder. I don't run the Switcher but it appears to me that the "Application Switcher" desktop has "fused" with the "Desktop" desktop.

I would try

sudo apt-get --purge remove plasma-desktop

and then reinstall it

sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop

Comment

Working...
            X